Feature Image

Step 1: DOD/DHS Approval of Transfer

Service member makes transfer designation, completes form, and submits to DoD/DHS for approval.

Go to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage , set up an account and transfer your benefit to spouse/children. Please reference this fact sheet on eBenefits for more information. (Or if unable to access eBenefits, go to http://milconnect.dmdc.mil  and list all dependents/spouses that you may wish to transfer benefits)

  • For log-on purposes, have available your Common Access Card (CAC) OR DoD Self Service User ID OR DFAS Pin number. Note: This website only works in Internet Explorer.
  • At the top of the screen, it has the service member's name, rank, status, and date. The status is "submitted" when the service member first submits the form. It will change to "approved" after both the military branch and DoD/DHS approve the transfer of eligibility).
  • Provide a copy of the approved transfer to the JMU School Certifying Official (SCO).
  • Proceed to Step 2 once the TEB (transfer of benefits) is approved

Step 2: Veterans Affairs Application for Post 9/11 Benefits

Service or family member completes and submits VA Form 22-1990e through the VA website, vets.gov. Instructions on how to complete the 1990e can be found here.

  • Please note this form should only be filled out and submitted to VA AFTER DoD/DHS has approved the request for TEB (step 1).
  • The application can be completed once the child turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes first.
  • If applying for the Post 9/11 benefit for a dependent/spouse, make sure to complete the VA Form 22-1990e application. The VA Form 22-1990 application is for the veteran only.
  • Make sure the VA Form 22-1990e application is completed in the dependent's name.
  • Provide a copy of the submitted 22-1990e application confirmation page to the JMU SCO.
  • If you set up direct deposit on the 22-1990e application (preferred method), payments for BAH and books/supplies will be deposited into this account.

Award and certificate of eligibility letters will be generated by VA and mailed to the permanent home address of the dependent on the 22-1990e application. Please send copies of letters to the JMU VA Certifying Officials. (VA requires 8-10 weeks to process these letters).

Step 3: Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form

Print Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form and complete page 1 and other applicable sections.

If you are using a parent's benefit, please have your parent review and sign the form. Submit completed form to School Certifying Official (SCO) with Step 4. Retain a copy for yourself.

Step 4: JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits Form

After acceptance to JMU and completion of course registration during orientation/registration, dependent completes JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form and submits to JMU SCO.

If you are receiving any scholarships, please provide documentation (letter or email) from the scholarship organization re: how the scholarship money is intended to be used.

Please contact SCO if the dependent is receiving any scholarships.Please reference this link for more information. If you will be using any other tuition/fee specific aid, we must know as it is treated like a tuition/fee specific scholarship. Ex - tuition waiver

JMU Step: SCO Submits Enrollment Certification to VA

JMU's School Certifying Officials (SCO) submits student’s enrollment to VA

JMU's SCO electronically submits the 22-1999 enrollment certification to VA roughly one month prior to the start of the semester. The enrollment certification will include the students' credit hours, tuition charges and fees. Payments of the BAH and books/supplies stipend to the student along with payment of tuition and fees to JMU, are calculated based on this certification.

Processing of a student's enrollment and release of initial payments (tuition, 1st BAH payment and book stipend) by VA can take at least 6-8 weeks each semester. Please have money upfront to pay for books as well as money to pay the full Room/Board charges by the 1st Friday of the semester. If the student is living off campus, have at least 2 months of living expenses available.

Back to Top