Feature Image

Requesting Chapter 1607 Benefits:

  • Complete and submit online, VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits, through the va.gov website.
  • Watch for: Letter of Eligibility or denial letter from VA within 12 weeks after submission of application. 
  • Any questions about the content of either letter should be directed to the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-888-442-4551.

At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, allowed elective, or degree requirements for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested.  After your 1st semester using your VA Benefits at JMU, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registration for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc)

Back to Top