Dual Career Services

 What is the Dual Career and Community Resources Program?

James Madison University’s Dual Career and Community Resources Program offered by the
Office of Human Resources eases the transition of moving to a new community by providing
essential support to new and prospective faculty, staff, and their families. The ability of a
spouse or partner to find employment and for the family to become engaged in the
community are crucial elements in the recruiting and onboarding process. HR developed this
detailed program to encourage couples and families to embrace JMU and its surrounding

The program offers services and information focused on two key components: Dual Career
Services and Community Resources. Dual career services are available to help jumpstart
the employee’s spouse/partner’s local job search. Community resources is a gateway to
campus and community that will help to make the transition to our area as smooth as
possible for both the new employee and their families. Consultation and support is offered
through the Recruitment Specialist in the Office of Human Resources.

 Who is eligible for Dual Career Services?

You are eligible for dual career services if you are part of a recruitment effort or the spouse/partner of a full-time faculty or staff member and are relocating to the area. Dual career services are provided to the spouse/partner for period of up to one year from the employee’s date of hire at the university or when employment is secured, whichever comes first.

 What does Dual Career Services offer?

  • General information on employment in the region
  • Referrals to job networking and career development resources
  • Job search guidance, resource and contact information on employment opportunities with local/regional employers
  • Assistance with resume and interview preparation
  • Guidance in applying for positions at JMU and navigating the JobLink website in accordance with JMU hiring policies and procedures

 How do I request Dual Career Services?

You may request these services by contacting Danielle Brooks Ritchie, Recruitment Specialist, brook3de@jmu.edu, 540-568-7203. You may also contact your spouse/partner’s employing department and ask them to put you in contact with Danielle. You will be asked to complete a Dual Career Services Intake Form to help us provide you with the best possible assistance.

 How long will you assist me in my job search?

Dual Career Services are only offered for one year or until you secure employment, whichever comes first.

 In the future, can I utilize Dual Career Services again?

Dual Career Services may only be used once to find initial employment.

 Will I be given preferential treatment for open positions at JMU?

Our program does not compromise the normal hiring or search process and cannot interfere with the hiring policies or procedures of the university. We can help you navigate the JMU JobLink system and provide a letter of introduction to the associated department acknowledging your participation in the program.

 Am I guaranteed job placement through this program?

Our goal is to provide liaison assistance to eligible participants regarding their search for employment. We are glad to offer professional advice with regard to a participant’s career search and are committed to assisting dual career couples. We will do everything possible to assist you in your job search but can neither create jobs nor intervene in an employer's hiring practices. It is the expectation of the program that participants manage their own career search.

 Can the program help me find employment outside of James Madison University positions?

The program will most certainly assist with employment outside of the university. JMU maintains a network of business contacts in the community and surrounding area to assist you in your job search.  Through the program, you can obtain resource information about the local business community, job openings and introductions to contacts of interest for informational interviewing purposes.

 Can you help me if I only want to secure part-time employment?

Yes, the program offers all of the same assistance to those candidates who are seeking part-time employment.

 What if I am not yet eligible to work in the U.S.?

If you are waiting for authorization to work, you can still secure information about local employers and job opportunities. You can start researching options and we can be better prepared to assist you when you secure proper authorization.

 If I secure employment, can I use the Dual Career and Community Resources Program administrator as a reference?

The program does not provide references for those we assist. References given to potential employers should be those who can speak with a great degree of validity about your past professional contributions, accomplishments and success. Colleagues in your particular field or previous supervisors are the best references.

 Are there jobs in the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County and Shenandoah Valley area?

Our area continues to grow and expand. There are diverse industries in the valley from healthcare/biomedical and manufacturing/construction to insurance and finance organizations. The Shenandoah Valley’s rich farming history and vast recreational offerings have also led to increased opportunities in agritourism and hospitality. In addition to JMU, there are four institutions of higher learning within reasonable driving distance from Harrisonburg for those looking for academic positions. Keep in mind that this is not yet considered a major metropolitan area and searching for employment may require patience and persistence.

Back to Top