Cover Photo Image

Frequently Asked Questions

It is difficult and time consuming to change your status from a visitor's visa to a student visa unless U.S. immigration inspection noted in your passport that you were a prospective student at the time of your initial U.S. entry. Be aware that the change can be very time consuming and that you are legally unable to begin studies before the approval has been granted. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services for more information regarding your specific situation (

Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the city in your country nearest your home town to find out what the procedure is for applying for a nonimmigrant visa. You may need an appointment, or walk-in hours may be available. Prior to meeting with Embassy officials you will need to pay the SEVIS fee to the U.S. government. At the time of your interview you will need to take along your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt, documentation of your financial ability to support yourself and proof that you have ties to your home country.  Once you accept the JMU offer and have matriculated, International Student & Scholar Services will send you a letter containing information about the visa process. 

You will need to send JMU proof of your financial ability to support your family while you are a student. Once that has been obtained, JMU will issue an I-20 or DS-2019 with your family listed as your dependents. Your spouse and children will then make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, bringing along their I-20 or DS-2019, a copy of your I-20 or DS-2019, a copy of your passport and visa, proof of your financial abilities, and proof of their ties to your home country.

Once you accept the JMU offer and have matriculated, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will be in touch about your immigration status and guide you through some of the pre-departure steps including what to bring. In the meantime, refer yourself to the International Student Orientation page of the ISSS website.

Your room will be furnished with all necessary furniture, but you will need bedding and toiletries. However, you may find it less expensive and more convenient to wait until you come to campus and purchase those items at a local store.  A shopping trip is scheduled during Transitions, the international student orientation program. In the meantime, we suggest that you refer yourself to the “Moving In” section of the Office of Residence Life’s website and the “Frequently Asked Questions” page of the International Student and Scholar Services’ website.

You are legally allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks.  Off campus employment requires special permission from the Immigration Service, which is granted only in limited situations. We encourage you to concentrate on studies and not seek any on-campus employment for at least one year following your initial entry.

You will be asked to produce your I-20 or DS-2019, F-1 or J-1 visa, and passport. It is possible that the inspector will ask you for your financial documentation to prove that you have the means to pay for your education. Please have all these documents on your person, and not packed in your luggage. You will also have your fingerprint and photo taken and, if you are identified as a Special Registrant, you will go through an additional check.

You may be able to work off-campus if the employment is a required part of your degree and/or if you have obtained previous approval by USCIS. You must see a staff member in ISSS prior to accepting any off-campus employment for a detailed explanation of the possibilities.

Yes, JMU requires that all international students carry health insurance throughout their education here. We carry a student insurance plan which will automatically be included in your tuition and fees bill. Check the International Student & Scholar Services website for more information regarding health insurance coverage for international students. 

Back to Top