Cover Photo Image

As AUH, you will likely be involved with a number of student issues: things such as grade appeals, graduation applications, course directives and perhaps disruptive behaviors. What follows here are some resources for navigating the kinds of issues you may encounter.

Student Support Services

JMU has a number of student support services, and it is important that you are aware of them so you can refer students, as appropriate.

Center for Multicultural Student Services (CMSS)

Located in Madison Union (Taylor Hall), Room 207, the Center for Multicultural Student Services provides educational and celebratory programs and services that support an inclusive campus community in which members value diversity within themselves and others.  The phone number is 568-6636.

Counseling Center

Located in the Student Success Center (SSC), Third Floor, Suite 3100, the Counseling Center offers a number of important services (such as individual counseling, crisis assistance, psychiatric services and peer mentoring). Students can request an appointment online. The phone number is 568-6552.

JMU Libraries

With four campus locations including makerspaces, and a variety of online offerings, the Libraries offers a number of important services and resources for graduate students. The Libraries’ staff and faculty can help students with research, publishing, skill development, finding sources, developing creativity, using technology, and more. The main phone number is (540) 568-6150.

Learning Centers

Located on the first floor of the Student Success Center (SSC), the Learning Centers include six individual centers that maintain distinctive practices appropriate to their disciplines and missions. For example, the Science & Math Learning Center provides walk-in, "café style" tutoring to support specific, introductory STEM classes, while the Communication and Writing Centers deliver mostly prescheduled individual and group consultations to students in any subject. The Learning Centers continue to expand their academic mission beyond tutoring to support faculty development and the scholarship of teaching and learning.

The Learning Centers’ website will provide links to each of their individual centers: Communication, Digital Communication, Science and Math Learning Center, University Writing Center, English Language Learner Services, and Peer Assisted Study Sessions. 

Office of Disability Services (ODS)

Located in the Student Success Center (SSC), First Floor, Suite 1202, the Office of Disability Services has a number of programs and accommodation services as well as a rich list of resources for students, faculty, staff and parents on its website:  The phone number is 568-6705.

University Health Center (UHC)

Located on the first floor of the Student Success Center (SSC), the University Health Center provides care and education that helps students be well, stay well and do well. The Center’s website provides a great deal of information about its services, as well as links to resources that deal with alcohol and other drug abuse prevention, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) education, sexual violence prevention and response and health education. The phone number is 568-6178.

Veterans (Educational Benefits and Veterans Center)

The Office of the Registrar has a host of helpful information for Active-Duty, Veterans, Spouses and Dependents at the following link:

In addition, the University has a Veterans Center located in the Student Success Center, Room 1500. The center serves as a quiet place to study, collaborate or socialize for any current or retired U.S. military members. Key card access is granted when enrolled as a student Veteran with the registrar.

Dealing with Disruptive Students: Resources

Academic Affairs Policy #12: Disruption of Class

This policy is intended to eliminate conduct that disrupts the process of teaching and learning and to provide guidelines for faculty members (and their AUH) to deal with a disruptive student in a class. This policy has been updated to reference student's adherence to health and safety guidelines related to COVID-19.

The policy can be accessed at

Dean of Students

Located in Madison Union (Taylor Hall), Room 300, the Office of the Dean of Students responds to the concerns of students, parents, faculty and staff, specifically in areas such as:

  • Assisting students who are considering withdrawing from the university prior to the end of the semester. The student and staff member discuss personal, financial, and academic implications including pertinent policies and procedures directly involved with their withdrawal.

  • Notifying faculty of extended absences from class when a student is incapacitated or experiencing extraordinary circumstances over the course of several days. Such notifications are sent as a convenience for the student, but do not excuse the student's absence. It is the responsibility of the student to contact each professor upon their return regarding the professor's policy for missed classes, assignments, etc.

  • Consulting with faculty, staff and students regarding distressed and disruptive students; referrals to appropriate resources.


Most important for AUHs is the Dean of Students’ role in working with distressed and disruptive students. If you have (or if a faculty member has conveyed) a concern about a student, you can contact the Dean of Students office for advice about how best to proceed. Of course, if there is an extreme emergency, you should call Campus Police (568-6911). The Interim Dean of Students is Gloria Mast ( The Assistant Dean of Students is TBA. The office phone number is 568-6468.

See the Behavioral Assessment Team Brochure for a complete list of resources and contact information.

The Dean of Students is the Chair of the Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT). This team is charged with assessment of and intervention with students whose behavior may present a threat to themselves or the safety of the university community. The BAT is a standing committee chaired by the Dean of Students, and includes members from the Counseling Center, the Health Center, the Office of Student Accountability and Restorative Practices, Public Safety, Residence Life, Disability Services, and Academic Programs, and representatives from other university offices on an as needed basis. The BAT is responsible for assessing student behavior and making recommendations to the administration on the most appropriate intervention to respond to students whose behavior may present a threat to themselves or the safety of the university community.


Other Important Policies and Forms

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA deals with access to and privacy of student records and student information. Detailed information about the University’s responsibility (and your own) can be found in the following:

University Policy 2112 – Student Privacy:

Overview of FERPA (Office of the Registrar):

Grade Change/Grade Review Procedure

  • Grade Change Procedure: If a student (graduate, undergraduate or post- baccalaureate) believes that a grade was assigned in error, because of a mistake in calculation or an error in recording a grade, the student should consult the faculty member (or faculty members, in the case of a jointly taught course) before the Friday of the second week of classes in the regular semester following the semester of the contested grade to resolve the discrepancy.

    Requests for review of spring semester or summer session grades must be initiated no later than the Monday of the third week of classes in the subsequent fall semester. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain all documentation for his/her classes, including copies of assignments and grades earned. If the faculty member agrees that a change should be made, the faculty member should submit a Grade Change via the Faculty Center in MyMadison. The only basis for this type of change is an error in grade assignment or calculation.

    If the faculty member does not agree to change a grade based on an error in recording the grade, the student may activate the grade review process listed below.

  • Grade Review Process: If a student (graduate, undergraduate or post- baccalaureate) believes that a final course grade was unfairly awarded, that student may initiate the grade review process. Students should be aware that, as a result of review, a grade may be raised, lowered or left the same.

    Evaluation of student work and assignment of grades on the basis of academic criteria are the responsibilities of and prerogative exercised by the faculty member teaching that particular course. Grades should be assigned on a fair and scholarly basis. Grounds for grade review are limited to two categories.
1. The grade was assigned in a manner other than that listed in the course syllabus or as amended by the faculty member with appropriate notice.
2. The grade was assigned in a manner other than that used for other students in the class.

To activate the grade review process, the student should follow the steps outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog: (Click on Grade Review Procedures)

Title IX

Though Title IX was mentioned in the “Faculty Issues” section, it bears repeating here, as Title IX covers the entire JMU community: faculty, staff, students, affiliates and invited guests. Please refer to the Title IX page for a comprehensive list of resources and contact information:

JMU Policy 1340 and Student Handbook Policy J34-100 are of particular importance, as they detail the definitions that we adhere to as a community and the process and procedures the university follows in responding to instances of sexual misconduct.

The Green Dot bystander intervention training program is also a valuable way for you and your faculty to participate in the work of addressing power-based violence in our community. For more information, you can contact survivor advocates Jackie Hieber (hieberjm; 8-6251) or Arianna Sessoms (sessomam; 8-4093).

Honor Code/Honor Council

The James Madison University Honor Council is committed to instilling, promoting, and upholding individual and collective academic integrity.

Information about the Honor Code and contact information can be accessed at this link:

A flow chart that illustrates how faculty may report a violation can be found at

Back to Top