- What is SharePoint?
View this SharePoint video for a complete overview.
- What version of SharePoint is used at JMU?
- Who can use SharePoint?
SharePoint is available to JMU faculty, staff and student employees.
- How do I access SharePoint?
- Is SharePoint accessible from off-campus?
Yes, using SSL VPN Network Connect - https://sslvpn.jmu.edu
For information on SSL VPN Network Connect visit http://www.jmu.edu/computing/sslvpn/sslvpnnetworkconnect.shtml
- Can student organizations request SharePoint sites?
Yes. Students will need a faculty/staff sponsor and submit a SharePoint site request via the Project Initiation Questionnaire (PIQ).
- What browsers are supported by Microsoft for SharePoint?
SharePoint can be used within the most common browsers, i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, (Mac and Windows). However, some features of SharePoint may function correctly only through Internet Explorer 8 or higher. For this reason, Information Technology recommends use of Internet Explorer for most users. More information is available at Microsoft SharePoint 2010 plan browser support site.
- Is Microsoft Office required for SharePoint?
No. Microsoft web apps allow you to open and edit Microsoft documents within the browser, however, without having MS Office installed, you will have limited capabilities.
- What Microsoft Office version do I need?
To get the full feature set, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote, you should use Office 2007 or higher.
- How do I request a SharePoint site?
Complete the SharePoint site request.
- How do I set SharePoint permissions?
SharePoint permissions are set at the site / library as well as the document and folder levels. Check out the SharePoint Permissions page for additional information.