Departmental Minors

We offer minors in political science (POSC) and in public policy & administration (PPA). For more information regarding the POSC & PPA minors, contact Professor Elaine Chisek at  

With JMU's School of Communication Studies, we also offer a minor in political communication (PCOM). For more information regarding the PCOM minor, contact Dr. Valerie Sulfaro at

These departmental minors in political science, public policy & administration, and political communication are available to any student in good standing at the university. 

To declare a minor (or to declare a major), go to the Student Center component of MyMadison on the STUDENT tab. 

JMU's Office of the Registrar provides a step-by-step video tutorial with instructions on adding, dropping, and/or changing majors and minors.

Extradepartmental Minors

Students interested in becoming civics and social studies teachers should consider combining the political science major with the Interdisciplinary Social Science (ISS) minor.  For more information about the ISS minor, contact Professor John Hulsey at

While our department offers a major in international affairs, there is no minor in international affairs at JMU. That said, departmental faculty work with colleages elsewhere at JMU to staff a number of minors that address global concerns, including Africana Studies, Asian Studies, Latin American & Caribbean Studies, Middle Eastern Migrations & Communities, and Modern European Studies.

Our faculty also contribute to JMU's minors in Environmental Studies, Humanitarian Affairs, and Women's & Gender Studies.

For a broad listing of all interdisciplinary minors at JMU, visit the Cross-Disciplinary Studies website.

Back to Top