The Department of Kinesiology is dedicated to the development of future leaders in professions that maximize the potential of individuals and society through physical activity. Programs include exercise Science and teacher education in physical education and health.
The department is committed to providing:
- Outstanding undergraduate programs based on the criteria of relevant professional associations which will enable graduates success in their professional endeavors.
- Programs that build upon the strong liberal studies background provided through General Education.
- Opportunities that challenge students to think critically
- Use of technological advances.
- An appreciation of the global community.
- Quality graduate programs that complement the undergraduate programs and provide qualified students with an opportunity for advanced study in the disciplines of kinesiology.
- Contributions to the university's general education curriculum through programs designed to promote lifelong fitness and wellness.
- Service to JMU, the professions and local community through our unique knowledge and expertise.
- Research and development projects that push back the boundaries of knowledge and promote effective practice in the kinesiology disciplines.
Our aim is to develop professionals committed to engaging with diverse communities in ways that help all individuals reach their full potential. We are dedicated to appreciating differences in perspective, identity, and experience through cultivating class environments, curriculum, and pre-professional opportunities that align with the spirit of inclusion. This mission ultimately gets us closer to our vision of high-quality education.