Financial aid funds are available to students enrolled in qualifying JMU Study Abroad programs and have filed a FAFSA. Financial aid eligibility is generally determined the same way it is for a student studying on campus at JMU. The major difference in most cases is that your Cost of Attendance (COA) will be based on the anticipated expenses applicable to your study abroad program, which will be provided by the OIP. Consequently, the student does not need to contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for special consideration. The increased costs associated with a study abroad program will normally generate additional Plus Loan eligibility, as federal and state grants are not increased based on participation in a study abroad program. Federal loan limits still apply.

The Center for Global Engagement has scholarship information on their website:

The Office of Financial aid and Scholarships does not have any scholarships specifically for study abroad. For information on scholarships in general, go to:

Set up a Direct Deposit for you and your parents if you have not already done so. This can be done through your MyMadison.

If you have a private loan, please contact University Business Office at 568-6505 to make arrangements for receiving your funds. You may need to establish a power of attorney before you leave in order to receive your money.

After reading all provided information, e-mail any further questions you may have to

Things you should be aware of for summer programs:

  1. **Your FAFSA needs to be filed. **
  2. The changes to your budget that will reflect the increased costs of studying abroad cannot be made until after the initial packaging is complete. Therefore, the first finanical aid offer you receive will not accurately reflect the total funds you will be entitled to. You will receive a second award notification. The increased costs associated with a study abroad program will normally generate additional Plus Loan eligibility.
  3. You need to fill out a Summer Aid Application which is available on our website on the first day of summer registration.
Summer Consortium Students

Studying abroad during the summer through a non-JMU program!

A consortium/contractual agreement is an official contract between James Madison University and a study abroad institution. Assuming a student meets all of the other general eligibility requirements to receive financial aid, the agreement allows JMU to provide financial aid while you study at an institution other than JMU. Students can refer to JMU Terms and Conditions for Financial Aid – Consumer Information for more information regarding general policies governing the financial aid process and student eligibility. The agreement allows JMU to provide financial aid while you study at an institution other than JMU. In order to receive financial aid for the summer session you need to be enrolled at least half time, six credit for an undergraduate and 5 credits for a graduate. These hours can be a combination of your study abroad experience and any classes that you may be taking over the summer at JMU. You can learn about the particular rules pertaining to summer school financial aid by visiting the Summer School Financial Aid section of our website.

The Registrar’s Office will start the consortium/contract process by having you complete a “Request to Enter Into A Consortium Agreement” and “A Request to Transfer Credit” forms. Please contact the Registrar’s Office on the 5th floor of Warren Hall to complete the necessary paperwork above. Once the agreement is completed, a copy of the Official Consortium Agreement is passed on to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will use the information from the Registrar’s Office to create a unique new budget for your program of study.

Things to keep in mind: Since summer starts the new academic year, you will have to file a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Also, all students who need financial aid for the summer are also required to fill out a Summer Aid Application. Once all of this information is received, a summer award notice will be created and e-mailed to your JMU address. Summer aid is offered in the way of loans and is some instances a portion of a student’s Federal Pell Grant.

James Madison University will not send payment to your host institution. Your financial aid funds will be disbursed to you and/or your parents once you have started classes at your host institution. It is the student’s responsibility to print the “Enrollment Verification Form” below. You will need to take this form to the Registrars’ Office at your host institution and have them fax the completed form back to the Financial Aid Office. The process of disbursing your funds will not start until the Enrollment Verification Form is received in our office. The Business Office at JMU closes from early/mid-June through early July during the summer months for year end reconciliation. During this time no financial aid can be disbursed to a students account. It is not unusual for a student to receive their funds for the summer until mid July.

Hours you take as part of this agreement will be factored into the quantitative (pace and max time) Satisfactory Academic Progress review at JMU, even if JMU does not accept any or all of the hours towards your degree due to your grades.

Back to Top