Cash Handling

The Treasurer of any Student Organization is required to complete online Cash Handling Training certification at the beginning of the Academic year or before the Organization’s first event involving money. This certification will apply to all events where cash is handled during the current Academic Year. If the position of Treasurer changes during the Academic year, the new Treasurer must be certified by completing the online Cash Handling Training.

 Contractual Agreements

Students may not sign contracts!

The contract must be brought to Paula Lam, Associate Director of Administration and Finance, The Union 300, prior to it being signed by the performer or agency. She will prepare the contract by striking necessary clauses and/or attaching the JMU Addendum and a W-9 Form. The contract must also be reviewed by the facility coordinator where the event will take place.

The student organization must provide a financial statement showing sufficient funds to cover the entirety of the costs. The organization may also have to provide liability insurance if required by the contract.

The student organization will be notified when they can pick up the contract and must mail it to the performer and get an ORIGINAL SIGNATURE IN BLUE INK.

After the performer or agency has signed the contract, the student organization must bring the contract back to the Administration and Finance Office for final signatures. The contract will be signed by a designated University official within 3-5 business days and the student organization will be notified to pick it up. The student organization must mail a fully executed contract to the performer or agency once all signatures have been obtained.

Allow at least 7 business days to complete these actions; however, the process could take up to 2 weeks. Please plan accordingly


Any copyrighted film (VHS, DVD, etc.) in any university facilities, other than a private residence hall room, cannot be shown unless a license to show the film is obtained or special permission from the owner of the copyright is received. This requirement is mandatory regardless whether or not an admittance fee is charged.

Licensing can be obtained from Swank Motion Pictures at 1-800-876-3344. Currently licenses range from $300-$1000 per title. At least two weeks notice should be given to obtain a license.

A copy of the license or permission letter must be received prior to the scheduled event and submitted to the appropriate scheduling office.

The only exception to this requirement is if a member of the faculty is using the film in the context of classroom instruction.


JMU, through contract with ARAMARK Corporation, maintains exclusive right to provide food service on all university property.


Information concerning allowable forms of fundraising can be found on the Student Activities and Involvement website.

Prohibited forms of fundraising include gambling, raffles and poker tournaments. This is defined as the making, placing or receipt of any bet or wager in the Commonwealth of money or other thing of value, made in exchange for a chance to win a prize, stake or other consideration or thing of value, dependent upon the result of any game, contest or any other event the outcome of which is uncertain or a matter of chance, whether such game, contest or event occurs or is to occur inside or outside the limits of the Commonwealth.

“Raffle” means a lottery in which the prize is won by (i) a random drawing of the name or prearranged number of one or more persons purchasing chances or (ii) a random contest in which the winning name or preassigned number of one or more persons purchasing chances is determined by a race involving inanimate objects floating on a body of water, commonly referred to as a “duck race.”

 Inclement Weather

 Off Campus Speakers

If your event will have an Off Campus Speaker, you will need to complete the JMU Event Approval Form which can be found on the Home page, under Forms, on this website. The event sponsor should notify the appropriate University officials if the event is open to the public. If you plan to have a press conference, please notify the Director of Communications and Spokesperson. If you have security needs, please contact the Public Safety ‑ Special Events.


 Open Burn

Any open or exposed flame such as bonfires, candles, grills, etc. hereto known as open burns on state property require approval at the JMU Vice President level or higher. This burn policy does not apply to the “built-in” grills at URec, Chandler Courtyard or Village volleyball/basketball area.

Scheduled start times for open burns must be observed or the event will be canceled; with a maximum variation of one hour for inclement weather being the only exception.

Failure to follow these requirements or follow proper safety precautions may result in cancelation of the event. The State Fire Marshal’s office reserves the right to cancel any open burn without notice.

Please contact the JMU Safety Office, Tony Brown,, USB 102, (540)568-6765 at least thirty days prior to the event. You will also need to complete the Open Burn Requirements Form.

 Outdoor Sound

Amplified sound is only allowed as follows, except for approved major university events.
  • Athletic Fields/Facilities, Festival Amphitheater and Lawn, Hillside Field and TDU Patio
    Approved Times: Monday ‑ Friday: 8am-10pm, Saturday ‑ Sunday: 12pm-10pm
  • Warner Commons
    Approved Times: Monday ‑ Thursday: 12-1pm and 5-6pm, Friday: 12-1pm and 5-11pm, Saturday: 9am-11pm, Sunday: 10am-10pm.


The JMU Posting Policy must be adhered to when hanging posters or flyers on campus. Please read this policy before printing posters to make sure all guidelines have been met. No flyers are ever to be put onto car windshields.

Posters and flyers MUST be stamped before they can be hung around campus. Posters should be taken to one of the information desks listed below to be stamped. Posters advertising an event can be hung ONLY on general-purpose bulletin boards. These bulletin boards are located in academic buildings, Carrier Library, Festival Conference & Student Center, The Union, Residence Halls, Student Success Center (1st floor only) and the breezeway of Wilson Hall.

  • Festival Scheduling Office, Room 2001, 8am-5pm – (540) 568-8932
  • T.D.U. Event Services Desk – (540) 568-7853
  • The Union Event Services Desk – (540) 568-5555
    Non-profit organizations that wish to post on campus must submit proof of Non-Profit status (a 501(C)3 letter with federal ID number).

Bands that would like to post should register with the JMU Event Management office located in The Union, Suite 102.

Non-Profits and Bands approved for posting.

 Public Safety Signature Approval

Certain events REQUIRE a meeting with Public Safety to discuss event specifics and obtain an approval signature. This meeting should take place shortly after you book your space in order for Public Safety to prepare for your event. Waiting until 2 weeks prior to your event may result in cancelation due to lack of staff availability. Please note: Some events may require the presence of an officer or cadet and charges may be incurred by the sponsoring student organization. The following events require the approval of Public Safety:

  • Dance/Concert
  • Large Events (attendance of 250 or more)
  • Overnight Events
  • Event determined appropriate by the scheduling authority

Contact Lt. John Campbell, Public Safety, for approval signature. You must call 540-568-6910 to set up an appointment. If Lt. Campbell is not available, email or contact Sgt Chad Skelton. Completed and signed paperwork is due to the appropriate scheduling authority TWO weeks before the event date.

If the discussion and approval from Public Safety has not taken place prior to the due date for paperwork, the event will be CANCELED.

 Rehearsal Policy

During the Routine Request period (starting in April before the next Academic year):
Student organizations can only request 3 rehearsal dates per large event or performance. This applies to Grafton Stovall Theatre, The Union Ballroom, Memorial Auditorium, Festival Grand Ballroom, Highlands or any large room with a capacity of more than 100. Wilson Auditorium cannot be scheduled for rehearsals or practices.

    • Academic Classrooms:  Rehearsals will not be allowed in academic classrooms. Exceptions may be made for weekends or as deemed appropriate by the scheduling authority. If an exception is made during the week, the rehearsals must be scheduled after the last academic class in that building.

All schedulers reserve the right to determine or restrict the scheduling of spaces/facilities.

2 Weeks after the start of each semester:
Additional rehearsal space can be requested in The Union or Festival Conference and Student Center including the large spaces listed above. Maximum scheduled rehearsal times must be 3 hours or less and any excessive requests for space may be denied.

Academic Classrooms:

    Rehearsals will not be allowed in academic classrooms. Exceptions may be made for weekends or as deemed appropriate by the scheduling authority. If an exception is made during the week, the rehearsals must be scheduled after the last academic class in that building.

Greek Sing:

    Rehearsals are scheduled through the Greek Sing Coordinator in Fraternity and Sorority Life. These rehearsals cannot start until 6 weeks before the date of Greek Sing.

All schedulers reserve the right to determine or restrict the scheduling of spaces/facilities.

 Room Usage

Room use at JMU is a collective responsibility. We all share the goal of keeping our facilities clean and organized, not only for our use, but for others who are using the same space following your event.

Please leave the room as you found it (furniture returned to it’s original placement and excessive trash removed). Misuse may result in suspension of room reservation privileges.


Any Student Organization using a university-owned vehicle, must comply with University Policy 4303 (Use of State Vehicles).

Fraternities and sororities that fall under the Fraternity / Sorority Life umbrella and wish to use trip or coach buses must contact the FSL office, (540)568-4195.

Continued use of state vehicles is contingent upon compliance with the above regulations.

 Vendor Policy

Thank you for your interest in selling merchandise at James Madison University. In order for a business to solicit sales on our campus, they must be approved. The online Vendor Approval Request Form, which can be accessed below, must be completed and submitted. Once approved, you will be notified of your status to solicit at JMU.

Regulations for Vendors Using JMU Facilities


    • The sale of unlicensed JMU branded merchandise is prohibited.
    • All Vendors must be sponsored by a recognized JMU Student Organization, Festival Conference & Student Center or The Union.
    • Vendors must check-in and pay fees before setting up his/her merchandise. Payment can be made in
      The Union room 245 or Festival Conference & Student Center room 2001.
    • Vendors may check-in anytime after 8am to pay applicable fees and get set up.
    • If telephone lines are required, the space must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance and additional charges will apply.
    • One eight foot table will be provided per 10’x10′ area; the appropriate scheduling authority must approve additional space.
    • All sales will take place between 9am – 8pm (10×10 spaces) and 9am – 4pm (Festival Highlands and The Union 256), Monday through Friday, unless otherwise approved. Overnight storage may be available on an occasional basis, please contact reserving office. Additional fees will be assessed.
    • Removal and breakdown of sales must be completed by 9pm or 5pm depending on space used.
    • Vendors are required to pay a minimal commission of 10 percent of sales to the sponsoring Student Organization.
    • If sponsored by The Union or Festival Conference & Student Center, no commission is paid.
    • Sales scheduled in an outdoor space must remain outside. There is no rain location.
    • The fee structure for sales by space is as follows:

10’x10′ indoor/outdoor space ‑ $140 (JMU sponsored) or $70 (Student Organization sponsored)
Festival Highlands ‑ Based on current rental rates ($720 maximum fee)
The Union 256 ‑ Based on current rental rates ($640 maximum fee)

Vendors are allowed in the The Union Info/Sales area, The Union Patio, The Union 256, Festival Highlands Room, Festival Info Tables and Festival Patio. See the Approved Vendor List for contact information of currently approved vendors.

To apply to become an approved vendor, please complete the Vendor Approval Request Form.

Back to Top