NOTE: The information on this page is specific to students transitioning from the ISC Study Group Program to JMU's undergraduate degree program.  Undergraduate students enrolled directly at JMU should visit the Academic Advising website. 

JMU Enrollment Reminders Q & A
for ISC Completers

Q: What are the dates and deadlines for enrolling in JMU classes next semester?
A: The Enrollment Dates and Deadlines appear on the Registrar’s Office’s website each semester. 

Q: What’s the difference between “Continuing Education” (CE) and “Undergraduate” (UG) careers?  Which one should I choose for my JMU undegraduate classes?

A: When choosing classes for your first semester at JMU, MyMadison will ask you which term you wish to enroll in.  You should choose “undergraduate” for your classes at JMU.  "Continuing education" is what you use while you are in the ISC.  See CE & UG Records for more info. 


Q: Can I repeat a course at JMU that I took first in the ISC?

A: Yes, but there is a special procedure to be aware of.  See Repeating JMU Courses and talk to the International Academic Advising Coordinator before you enroll in a course at JMU that you first took in the ISC.  


Q: I have holds on my record.  What should I do?
A: Check to make sure you have taken care of any holds on your account that may prevent you from enrolling in classes.  There are a few holds that belong there and some that will stay there, like these: Positive Ser Indicator-Display, Do not print bill.  If you have other holds, you should click on “Details” to find what you need to do to remove the hold. 


Q: How and when can I pay tuition?  *After completing ISC, tuition paid directly to JMU*
A: The deadline to pay tuition is the first Friday of the semester.  Always.  You can see and pay your tuition bill online through the M3 Madison Money Manager in MyMadison. If you have questions about tuition, please contact the University Business Office.  You can go to the Student Success Center Room 5100, call 540-568-6505 or email   


Q: What should I do if the class I want to take is full?
A:  It depends on the class. There may be some classes you want to take that simply will not have open seats.  The question is: do you want to take the class, or do you need to take the class? 

  • Choice #1: Add your name to the waitlist.  Many (not all) classes at JMU have a waitlist.  Waitlist is a feature of MyMadison that allows you to add your name to a list of people who are waiting for an open seat in a class.  If you are at the top of the waitlist and a seat becomes available AND you meet the prerequisites for the course AND the time fits into your schedule, you will be enrolled in the course. You will also receive an email to notify you that the class has been added to your schedule.  Being on the waitlist does NOT guarantee you a seat in the class.  You should still build a full schedule without the waitlisted classes.  View these tutorials for Enrollment/Waitlist - Add a Class or Enrollment/Waitlist - Swap a Class.

  • Choice #2: If you want to take the class and it is full, choose a different class that meets the same requirement.  For example, if you really want to take ART 200 to meet your Cluster 2 Visual & Performing Arts Gen Ed requirement, but it’s full, you should think about taking another class in the same cluster instead. Maybe think about MUS 200 or THEA 210.

  • Choice #3: If you want to take the class and it is full, wait and take the class in a future semester. You’ll be able to enroll in classes earlier in future semesters, which should give you a better selection of classes to choose from.  Maybe plan to take the class next semester or sometime in the future. 

If you’re trying to get into a General Education class you want to take and it's full, choice 1, 2 & 3 are really your only choices.

  • Choice #4: If you need to take a class to meet an academic requirement AND there’s no other class that meets the same requirement AND you cannot wait to take it in a future semester AND all of the seats in all sections of the class are full . . . then you can request an override.  Check the Override Procedures page of the Academic Advising website for instructions on how to request an override.  Remember, you’re always allowed to request an override, but the department doesn’t have to give it to you.  They can say yes or no.  


Back to Top