For more than a century, James Madison University – founded as a college for teacher educators – has prided itself on excellence in teaching and learning. JMU faculty members carry forward this tradition through innovative courses and groundbreaking pedagogies. The Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI) provides an array of inclusive, evidence-based workshops, institutes, communities, and consultations designed to encourage, foster, and support excellence in teaching and learning.
Teaching programs are designed for faculty to make progress towards the following outcomes:
- Appreciate pedagogy as a significant higher education endeavor;
- Identify factors that influence pedagogical choices;
- Create assignments that support higher-level learning (deep learning);
- Design and offer courses that align learning objectives, assessment, and learning activities;
- Articulate how current pedagogical choices reflect disciplinary norms;
- Practice the integration of scholarship with teaching and other career aspirations; and
- Integrate knowledge of student development models in teaching philosophies and practice.