Off-Campus Life not only serves to help students, but we want to provide quality assistance to those who provide student housing as well. If you are a landlord, private owner, property manager, or management corporation, our office can assist in advertising to future tenants, navigating conflicts or concerns with current JMU student tenants, and in providing student programming at your location. This section has the information you need to know on ways you can partner with JMU’s Off-Campus Life team.

Upcoming Housing Fair: Wednesday, February 21, 2024, from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in Festival Conference & Student Center, Grand Ballroom (set-up begins at 10:00 a.m.)

If you are one of our partner properties or invited community guests, please click here to register to attend the Spring 2024 Housing Fair. Complete the form to provide us with information about what accommodations you will need at the fair.

Off-Campus Life at JMU has a contract with Off Campus Partners LLC, a company that simplifies the off-campus housing search process for universities, property managers, and students. They partner with colleges and universities across the United States and Canada to provide a website that lists off-campus housing options and allows students, parents, and community members to search for available housing that meets their needs. This website also provides a Roommate Finder service and message boards that allow students to advertise available sublets and other items, such as available furnishings.

How You Can Advertise as an Individual Owner:

You do not need a corporation or large management company representing you to advertise your available housing to students. You can advertise as an individual owner on the listing website for a small fee. For more information about this option, please reach out to our Off-Campus Partners representative, Kerry Brown, at (434) 956-3907 or

Can the University provide a contact list of student emails for advertising? 

No. State code prohibits the University from providing any student contact information without written consent.

How You Can Advertise as a Property Management Company or Corporation:

If you manage/own multiple properties or are a corporate owner, there are also advertising options through the Off-Campus Partners listing website and specific membership packages. These membership packages not only allow website listing but also provide additional advertising, such as attendance at Off-Campus Life Housing Fairs on the JMU campus, property brochures placed in the Off-Campus Life office for additional advertising to students, and listing in the annual Off-Campus Life Housing Guide.

For more information, please feel free to contact our office via email or phone or reach out toour Off-Campus Partners representative, Kerry Brown, at (434) 956-3907 or

The following policies have been set forth and approved by James Madison University. Off-Campus Life, an extension of James Madison University, is required to comply with all policies of the University. Therefore, we will uphold and enforce the following policies fairly and equally among all partner properties we work with. Off-Campus Life will not endorse or sponsor one property over another, therefore we cannot support advertising on campus outside of our sponsored events in which registration is required. Please read the following policies for more information.

Policy #3104

Use of Bulletin Boards & Posting Public Notices

Date of Current Revision: March 2008

Responsible Office: University Unions

6.3 Solicitation

University facilities may not be used for solicitation of faculty, staff, or students by private enterprise for profit organizations, except for solicitations for instructional materials as permitted by the Student Handbook. This includes solicitation by individual contact, free advertising on campus through flyers, posters, or similar materials, and profit-oriented activities not officially sanctioned by the university.

J36-100 Soliciting, Petitioning, Selling, Surveying and Publicizing

  • J36-101.2

    No student, non-university-related organizations or individuals may sell or solicit on the campus for any purpose whatsoever without first obtaining the sponsorship of a recognized student organization. The sponsoring organization must obtain the written approval of the coordinator of student organization development, make all arrangements for space, acknowledge sponsorship in writing and delineate the financial arrangements between the sponsor and the non-university organization or individual.

  • J36-101.3

    Sales or solicitation involving food items require additional approval by the director of the dining services department. Sales or solicitation of merchandise require additional approval by the director of the university bookstore.


Soliciting, petitioning, selling, surveying, publicizing and distribution by students, university organizations, non-students and non-university related organizations are prohibited in the residence halls. Programs or demonstrations of approved products and/or topics may be presented in residence halls only under the following conditions:

  • J36-103.1

    The community council agrees to sponsor the program. Approval by a recorded majority vote of the community council shall constitute legitimate sponsorship, subject to the review and approval of the director of residence life.

  • J36-103.2

    Presentations by the sponsored persons or company shall be limited to demonstration or display of merchandise and appropriate promotion; it may not include solicitation or orders, signing of contracts, or exchange of money. The demonstration or promotion shall be such that it does not unreasonably disrupt other hall activities.

  • J36-103.3

    Solicitors may leave calling cards, catalogs or order blanks with students but may not transact business or seek promises for future transactions.

  • J36-103.4

    A member of the residence hall staff must be present to observe the program.

  • J36-103.5

    No resident of the hall, community council member or member of the hall staff may profit from presentation by virtue of his or her role in securing sponsorship for the solicitor. Free gifts, commissions or any other forms of remuneration are not allowed.

  • J36-103.6

    Door prizes, discounts or any other form of free gifts used to promote attendance or to encourage interest must be available to all on an equal basis.

  • J36-103.7

    No door-to-door solicitation or distribution is permitted.

  • J36-103.8

    All programs falling under the definition of this policy must be registered in advance with the director of residence life or his/her designee.


Posters, notices, announcements or other materials may only be displayed on general-purpose bulletin boards inside authorized university-operated buildings or on authorized university property. The director of the University Unions will define the authorized areas of display for such material. The exterior of academic and administrative buildings as well as all windows, doors and trash receptacles are specifically unauthorized display areas. Materials must be approved by University Information before being posted. Materials with dimensions exceeding 11 inches by 17 inches will not be approved for posting. Refer to the “University Unions” section for more information. Items posted in the residence hall must be submitted to the associate director of residence life in Huffman Hall for a second review. Approval for posting and posting guidelines will be determined and outlined by the associate director.


Using chalk to display messages or advertise events on campus may only be done on university sidewalks in pre-approved locations. All chalk messages or advertisements are prohibited without appropriate authorization from University Information.

Off-Campus Life partners with Off Campus Partners, a division of Costar, to provide an online off-campus housing listing service. This listing service is a fully searchable database that allows students, parents, faculty/staff, and guests to find off-campus housing that meets their needs. Available units at your property or a privately owned available rental can be advertised through this listing service, allowing students to see the listing, including pricing, photos, and amenities.

In addition to advertising, just one housing option through this listing service, properties, and property management companies can purchase subscription agreements through Off Campus Partners that allow them to advertise to JMU through this website.  These subscription agreements also include the option of advertising to students through other means, such as the Off-Campus Housing Guide and Housing Fairs.

If you are interested in an Advertising Subscription Agreement to help market housing to JMU students, contact our Off-Campus Partners representative, Kerry Brown, at (434) 956-3907 or for more information. 

Back to Top