You may find the information you seek in the Frequently Asked Quesitons (FAQ's) below.

If you still have quesitions, you can email our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) team at

We are required to monitor every student’s academic progress who files a FAFSA. If you fail to meet any of these three criteria: Pace, GPA and/or Maximum Time then you are no longer eligible to receive federal financial aid (including parent plus loans and certain private loans). But if you experienced any extenuating circumstances that prevented you from meeting SAP standards, you have the option to submit an appeal (within prescribed deadlines) to our office for review.

No, the appeal for continued enrollment at JMU and for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are two completely separate processes and a favorable outcome for one does not guarantee the same for the other.

No, we are required to include all attempted/earned credit hours when evaluating SAP, even the ones that are excluded because of the transfer equivalency option.

Yes, withdraws are credits you’ve attempted but not actually earned credit for (as are Repeat/Forgiveness, Incompletes and F grades) and they will affect the pace calculation and max time requirements. Grades of ‘F’ will also affect your GPA requirement.

Back to Top