Federal regulations require each institution to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, which establishes the minimum standards that must be applied consistently to all students.  We developed this online estimator to help undergraduate students determine whether their academic progress meets the requirements to receive financial aid. For more information, please review the JMU SAP policy

To determine your SAP status, complete the credit hours worksheet and use the links provided for assistance.  You can obtain credit hour and GPA information from your transcript, which appears under the "Academic History" section of your MyMadison account. 

NOTE: The SAP Estimator will not work for students using the Transfer/Transfer Equivalent Option. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for assistance.

If you click on the credit hour description and the expanded definition does not appear, you may need to disable your browser's Pop-Up blocker.

Credit Hour Worksheet
JMU Attempted Hours

NOTE: Click links to the left for definitions of each type of credit. The links below provide instructions for how to access your unofficial transcript and an example of how to calculate your SAP status using this estimator.

How to View an Unofficial Transcript


Cumulative Hours Earned
Transfer/Transfer Equivalent
Credit/No Credit (CR,NC)
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S,U)
Repeat/Forgiveness (RF)
Withdrawal (W, WF, WP)
Incomplete (I)
Test Credit Hours (AP, IB)
Credit by Departmental Exam or College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Cumulative JMU GPA
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Estimate
This estimate of SAP compliance is based on the information you provided. For a description of satisfactory academic requirements and information about how your academic performance affects your financial aid eligibility, review our SAP Policy.
Credit Hour Summary
  Attempted-GPA Attempted-Pace/Max Time Earned
JMU Attempted Hours
Transfer (including Dual Enrollment)
Credit/No Credit (CR,NC)
Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory (S,U) - see SAP
Repeat/Forgiveness (RF)
Withdrawal (W, WF, WP)
Incomplete (I)
Test Credit Hours (AP, IB)
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Academic Progress Summary
  Actual   Required   SAP Status
Max Time
Grade Point Average
Overall SAP Status
If your SAP status is "Unsatisfactory", you cannot receive financial aid. However, an
appeal option is available.
Learn more by reviewing JMU's SAP Policy.

Back to Top