Frequently asked questions
What is a JACard?
- JAC stands for James Madison University Access Card
Why do I need a JACard?
- JAC is your official JMU identification card and your passport to most services on campus
Where do I get my JACard?
- The Card Services Office is located in Warren Hall (3rd floor)
What are the student requirements to obtain a JACard?
- You must be registered for classes and have a government issued picture ID, such as a driver's license, military ID or passport
Do I need to replace my JACard every year?
- No, your JACard is valid as long as you are a student at JMU
- We do replace lost, damaged or stolen cards, but there is a fee
- Normal wear and tear JACards are replaced free of charge (this is determined by management in Card Services).
How much does it cost to replace a lost or damaged card?
- The first lost or damaged card costs $15 and all others after that cost $20. Card Services determines charges for damaged cards.
Is there a charge if I want a new picture taken?
- If you change your appearance - such as growing a beard - and we request that you have a new picture, there is no charge.
- If you just don't like your picture, then there is a fee of $10.
Where do I report my lost card?
- On the web at www.jmu.edu/cardctr any time of the day or night. (You can also reactivate your card if found before you have it replaced)
- Call 568-6446, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- During non-office hours and you do not have computer access then report lost cards to Campus Police in Anthony-Seegar Hall.
What is a FLEX account?
- A FLEX account is a pre-paid debit account accessed by using your JACard.
- It operates like a checking account without having to write checks, pay a service fee, or balance your account - we will do that for you!
- Check your balance and view your transactions online.
- There are no annual fees.
- You do not have to worry about carrying cash, checks, or credit cards around with you while you are on campus.
How do I add money to my FLEX Account?
- Add to your account via the web, phone, mail, or in person.
- Credit card charges may be phoned in or made on our website.
- You may also add cash to your account at one of our remote terminal locations located at Memorial Hall, Carrier Library, Urec, Rose Library, or HHS.
- Parents can add funds to your account anytime via the web,by calling the main office at 540-568-6446 during normal business hours, or by mailing a check payable to JMU to:
- James Madison University
Student Success Center
738 South Mason Street, MSC 3532
Harrisonburg, Va 22807
- James Madison University
Can I withdraw cash out of my FLEX Account?
- No, students cannot get cash out of their accounts at any time. Students may close their account at the end of the spring semester. It takes several weeks to recieve the refund check. Funds go to the University Business office and then are dispersed. There is a service fee of $10.00 to close out your account and receive a refund.
Does the balance carry over from year to year?
- Yes, your FLEX account stays active from year to year until you separate from JMU.
FLEX Locations: On/Off Campus
For up-to-date locations, visit our website at www.jmu.edu/cardctr