Skip to Main Content

Veterans Educational Benefits

You are in the main content

MGIB Chapter 30 (Active Duty)

The Montgomery GI Bill® Chapter 30 assists individuals who entered active duty after July 1, 1985, and have their basic military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months. The veteran must have been released from duty with an "Honorable" discharge and served at least 2 years of continuous active duty to be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits. Individuals eligible for the old G.I. Bill (Chapter 34) as of December 31, 1989, who meet certain eligibility criteria may also be eligible, but do not have their pay reduced.

Persons separated from active duty because of a service-connected disability or hardship may be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits without meeting the length of service requirements. A Chapter 30 participant who separated from active duty due to a physical or mental condition not characterized as a disability may be eligible for benefits.

For more information on Chapter 30 benefits please visit the Veterans Affairs website or call VA at 1-888-442-4551.

Current Chapter 30 Rates

Attention - JMU now offers Advance Registration to Active Duty, Veterans, National Guard and Reserve Members (undergraduate students only).  Please reference this link for information and what documentation you need to provide to receive this benefit. 

First Time User: Requesting Chapter 30 Benefits

Complete and submit VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits.  This can be done thru the website

Letter of Eligibility or denial letter from VA within 12 weeks after submission of application.  Any questions about the content of either letter should be directed to the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-888-442-4551.

At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:

  • Letter of Eligibility
  • Kicker Contract (if applicable)
  • DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 copy)
  • Military or Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) transcript (if you've taken classes at another college)
  • JMU form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits

Returning User: Current JMU Student

If you wish to request benefits for an upcoming semester or session, you will need to complete:

  • The JMU form and submit it to one of the VA Certifying Officials.  It will be emailed to you during registration and requires an advisor signature for any course needed for your major.

Returning User: Transfer Student From Another University/College

If you have received Chapter 30 benefits at another college or university within the past year, you will need to complete:

What Happens After Submitting all Requested Forms to the VA School Certifying Official

JMU's VA Certifying Official will process a student's request for benefits approximately one month prior to the start of the term (once all required documents are received). Within 5-8 weeks, VA will generate and mail an active award benefit letter to the student. 

After receiving this letter, the student must VERTIFY school attendance in either VA's Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) online system or by phone at 877-823-2378 to release VA payments.  Vertifying attendance, after the initial period, MUST be completed on the last calendar day of every month that the student attends classes.  Failure to do so will result in a delay of payment for the classes attended the month before. 

The W.A.V.E.S. online system permits students to perform a multitude of functions, including:

  • verify that enrollment has not changed
  • report a change in enrollment
  • change in mailing address
  • inititate or change direct deposit information
  • view the enrollment period and monthly benefit amount
  • view the remaining entitlement
  • sign up for a monthly email reminder

The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) allows students to phone in their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month.