Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content


Informational Brochures:

For Dependents and Spouses 

For Active Duty and Veterans 

For Veterans/families being charged out-of-state tuition:

The initial decision on residency will be made by our undergraduate Admissions Office. To be eligible for a military exception, you would need to be assigned a permanent duty station in Virginia (Note: The Pentagon is actually in Virginia.)

Receiving VA Benefits does not automatically qualify a servicemember/veteran/dependent for in-state tuition and residency. Please contact the following individuals with questions regarding residency:

  • If you are an incoming student and have questions about the fall semester and domicile, please contact Tammy Senger-Puckett in our Admissions Office at 540-568-5681.

  • If you have questions after your initial semester’s domicile or your situation changes, please contact Linda Combs at 540-568-3745 or  Ms. Combs handles all domicile reclassifications.


Attention - VA MOST LIKELY will not pay until end of September for Fall semesters and end of February for Spring semesters

  • We must have your "JMU Request for VA Educational Benefits" form to process your semester enrollment. No Form = no money 
  • Please have funds upfront each semester to cover books and room and board charges (or 2 months of living expenses if living off campus). 
  •  If a student is living on campus, the Room and Board charges must be paid by the 1st Friday of the semester to avoid a late fee and a hold. 
  • Be sure to return your JMU Form promptly in order to not delay payments further.
  • You must return the JMU Form to request benefits.

Chapter 36 - Education and Career Counseling Program

Click here for eligibility and more information about this program. 

Click here to go to the VA website

How to get a copy of your DD-214 Member 4 

  • Visit and create a premium account. This will give you access to your military documents, including your DD-214 Member 4 copy. The Member 4  version is preferred by VA when applying for educational benefits.
  • Visit to request a copy of your DD-214

Scholarship Information Posted

Information about using scholarships with Post 9/11 is now posted on the website. Click on "Post 9/11 and tuition/fee specific aid" on the lefthand bar (under the Post 9/11 link) or click here. 

NEW - GI Bill Comparison Tool

Thanks to VA’s new GI Bill® Comparison Tool , you can now find information online about Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits and the schools and training programs available to education beneficiaries. Before this tool launched, estimating how much beneficiaries may receive under the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit was challenging. The new comparison tool makes it easy to estimate Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits with just one click.

Spam Website Targeting Military Members and Families

U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID) said there is a scam by a website pretending to be an official military website (<>) 
They are trying to collect AKO email accounts and passwords. 
CID strongly recommends that Soldiers, civilians and family members who receive any suspicious and/or unsolicited emails should delete them immediately without response. 
However, if you have provided any information to the My Army Benefits website or have received any correspondence from the website, take the following steps:
. Do not log in to the website 
. Do not respond to any emails 
. Stop all contact if you have previously responded to any emails 
. Immediately contact your local Information Assurance (IA) office if you accessed the website from a government computer or system.  

Department of Veterans Affairs Fraud Alert

The Department of Veterans Affairs has issued a fraud alert about a marketing scam that is targeting veterans who misdial the VA National Call Center (800-827-1000) or the GI Bill Call Center (888-442-4551) phone numbers.  A marketing company created two phone numbers that differ from the real VA numbers by one digit.  If a veteran misdials and calls the bogus number, the answering party will offer a gift card and try to obtain sensitive personal data, to include credit card information.  Please note that the VA will "never" ask for credit card or banking information over the phone. 

The two bogus numbers are 800-872-1000 and 888-442-4511.  Please forward this information to all your members, Posts and friends, and share it on your websites.  The bottom line is make sure you know who you are talking to before providing personal information over the phone.  The VA has notified law enforcement authorities. 

For a list of toll-free VA phone numbers, go to the VA's Inquiry Routing & Information System webpage at

What Semester Charges to Pay?

Post 9/11 Recipients - JMU requires the full Room/Board charges to be paid upfront by the University deadline.   If you are less than 100% eligible, please pay your remaining percentage of tuition upfront. If you are out-of-state, you must pay the difference in your tuition;Post 9/11 only covers the in-state portion of tuition

  • Be sure to have money upfront to cover room/board or at least 2 months of living expenses before VA processes and pays your semester enrollment

Chapter  1606, 1607, 30, 35 Recipients - Please pay your entire semester bill by the University deadline each semester.  You may factor in any financial aid, loans, Federal and State T/A (if eligible), MSDEP (if eligible), monthly payment plan, scholarships, and any other aid when paying your bill.

In-state Residency Questions for Veterans and Dependents


  • Office of Admission at 540-568-5681 (incoming/1st semeter students) 
  •  University Business Office at 540-568-6505 (current students)


May 2013 - JMU has achieved Bonze Level Certification for Virginia Values Veterans (V3)!

May 2013 - JMU hosted the Virginia's Universities Value Veterans (UV2) event in May 2013. 130 participants representing 43 different higher education institutions attended.

Semester Requirement for All Students Using the GI Bill

If a student is to receive VA benefits for a semester or summer session, he/she must complete his/her personalized “JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits” form (received via email) in its entirety (including advisor signatures) and return via the delivery instructions on page 2 of the form.  Course schedule must be set (overrides secured; no changes to be made) before turning in the form.  Failure to return the form could significantly delay payments from VA.  Please contact Trudy with any questions.

Only courses for your major(s) require advisor initials and signatures.  If the course counts for a gen-ed, minor, or degree only, it does not require a signature.