ANNOUNCEMENT: Effective 2018, all M&R expenses are TAXABLE (even third party payments paid on your behalf). Per IRS regulations, these expenses are taxed at the higher supplemental tax rate.


IMPORTANT NOTE:  All reimbursements for lodging and meals must follow State Travel Regulations. You will not be reimbursed for any amounts that exceed the M&IE Rate Table and the Lodging/Meals (M&IE) Guideline Table. The 75% rule for meals on travel days applies to M&R too.

University Financial Procedures, Section 5010

Related Forms

Possible questions you may have:

I have just been granted an M&R allowance, what is my first step?

Your first step is to familiarize yourself with the University's M&R Policy and be sure you are aware of what types of expenses are reimbursable/taxable. If you are seeking common carriers to assist your move, you must get (3) three bids and submit them to the Payroll Services Office before making a formal commitment to use the common carrier (unless using a preferred mover). Typically, the employee should use the lowest of the three bids for moving. Failure to secure three bids means an individual is not in compliance with State/University M&R Policy.

Does the University have a preferred mover?

Yes. Lawrence Transportation Systems and Dunmar Moving currently have cooperative contracts with JMU and are preferred movers.  They have provided a simplified method for forecasting the cost of moves, which will assist departments in budgeting.  If a preferred mover is used for the move, no other estimates/bids are needed.

NOTE:   Employees must contact our moving reps directly to ensure discounted rates. On-line quote requests do not factor in JMU's contracted rates.



Lawrence Transportation Systems


Contact Justin Key (1-540-529-3200) or Michelle Miller

Dunmar Moving


contact Britt LaLiberte or Katy Phillips

They will be happy to answer any questions you may have and assist you with your move.

Am I still subject to the three bid requirement for non-full service movers?

Yes. "Partial move" companies, such as PODS and ABF-Upack, are considered third party movers and subject to the three bid requirement.

Do I have to hire a moving company to complete my move? Can I move myself?

Yes, you may move yourself. The rental of moving vans, trucks, trailers, hand trucks, or other appropriate moving equipment, vehicles, and supplies are reimbursable. The purchase of moving supplies, such as packing paper, boxes or cartons, is reimbursable. The cost of such purchases may not exceed $500. Gas used by a rental truck during the move is also reimbursable. However, original receipts for all of the above expenses must be provided. Note: Liability (LDW) and collision (CDW) insurance, including SafeMove/SafeTow, are only reimburseable for transportation that occurs prior to an individual's hire date.  Other optional insurance supplements, such as roadside assistance and/or cargo insurance, are not reimburseable.

Can I make several trips to move my belongings?

No, policy will only pay for one move (i.e. trip), so be sure to move all of your items at the same time. Multiple "moves" will not be reimbursed.

Can I ship my items via USPS in lieu of a traditional mover?

Yes, as long as this shipping method is the cheaper option. Please keep in mind that policy requires estimates when using a third party to ship your belongings. Therefore, you are still subject to the three bid requirement. Additionally, as with other third party movers, valuation insurance cannot be reimbursed.

Is storage reimbursable?

Yes. Expenses for a maximum of (30) thirty days temporary (in transit) storage of household goods are reimbursable. Regulations allow reimbursement if the employee is unable to move directly into the new residence.

How is mileage/gas reimbursed?

Mileage is reimbursed at a flat rate per mile. Gas receipts are allowed and reimbursed for moving vehicle/car rental only (Please keep in mind, car rentals are only allowed for house hunting purposes).

What is the current rate for reimbursing miles?

Please reference the Personal Vehicle Mileage Rate Table.

How much taxes are withheld for reimbursed moving expenses?

M&R is taxed at the higher supplemental rate, per IRS regulations. The federal supplemental rate is currently 22%, plus applicable state and FICA taxes. The total tax implication is approximately 35%, as a result.

How am I taxed on third party moving payments?

The value of the third party mover paid on your behalf will be added to your upcoming pay(s) for the purpose of taxing.  This adjustment will significantly reduce your net pay on the affected pay dates, as M&R is taxed at the higher supplemental rate, per IRS regulations.  The federal supplemental rate is currently 22%, plus applicable state and FICA taxes.  The total tax implication is approximately 35%, as a result.

What forms need to be completed?

Three documents must be completed: M&R Agreement, M&R Expense Summary and a Travel Reimbursement or Accounting Voucher (Note: A Travel Reimbursement Voucher is used for employee reimbursements, whereas an Accounting Voucher is used for payment to a third party mover). All three forms must be completed and submitted along with any other documents necessary to support all claims for payment/reimbursement.

When can I expect to be reimbursed?

M&R reimbursements will be made on the next available payroll, following receipt of the completed paperwork.

Who may I contact with questions regarding the M&R Policy?

Please contact Sherry Willis in the Payroll Services Office at 540/568-8034.

Back to Top