Is there any specific criteria for a student to be hired for a student position?
Yes, in order to be considered for an on campus student position, the applicant must be a degree seeking student enrolled on at least a half-time basis (6 credits for undergraduate; 5 credits for graduate). 

To be considered for a Federal Work Study (FWS) position, the applicant must also be eligible for FWS through their financial aid award package for that academic year.

How does a student know whether they are eligible for Federal Work Study?
Students can view their financial aid award package on their MyMadison account by clicking on “View My Financial Aid” under the Finance Section of the Student Center. If the student is eligible for work study, then it will appear on their financial aid award package. If you are hiring for a FWS position, the student MUST provide the supervisor with verification of their FWS eligibility for that academic year, it can be printed from My Madison. If a student is still uncertain about their eligibility, then they can email Student Employment at

Is it necessary for students to complete a state application?
No. Student Employment prefers that hiring departments post their available positions in Page Up and request that students complete the student application using this system. Hiring departments may also request other materials, such as a resume, cover letter, references, writing sample, etc. that can be submitted along with their student application using this system.

What is a “New Hire”?
A “new hire” is a student who has never worked for James Madison University.

What is a “Re-Hire”?
A “re-hire” is a student who has previously worked for James Madison University. If the student is new to your office/department, but has held a different on-campus job in the past, they are still considered a “re-hire”.

What hiring paperwork is required?
All paperwork can be found on the Student Employment Website

  • Please attach all hiring paperwork to the ePAR to ensure your student employees are paid on time.  

Why do I need to send a photocopy of the student’s Social Security Card?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires employers to report all employee wages using a Social Security number. Student Employment uses the Social Security number for name and number verification so Payroll Services will enter the correct information on the W-2. For more information regarding this policy, click here.

What if a student does not have his/her Social Security Card?
A student can apply for a new card by going to the Social Security Office located on 227 East Elizabeth St, Harrisonburg VA 22802 or going online at Social Security Administration. The student will be receive a receipt. This can be accepted with the hiring paperwork. Student Employment will need a photocopy of the Social Security Card when the student receives it.

If a student is not a U.S. citizen, what steps need to be taken in the hiring process?
The hiring department will need to complete an ePAR/PAR, with the student the department will need to complete and sign the Position Description, Employee Information Form, a copy of the SSN Card, direct deposit and complete Section 1 of the I9 form. The student will then met with Student Employment to complete Section 2 of the I9 form. The student will then go set up an appointment with the Payroll Office and complete the tax forms. If you have more questions about hiring international students, please go to Hiring International Students.

Is a receipt from the Social Security Administration verifying the student’s social security number and legal name acceptable as supporting documentation for the I9 form?
The employee must present an acceptable receipt in lieu of a document listed on the List of Acceptable Documents.  Employees must present valid replacement doucments within 90 days or other specified time.  When completing the I9, in Section 2, the Student Employment office will select "applied for" to indicate a receipt was used and the form will be updated once the actual document is received. 

If a driver’s license expires, is the I9 still valid?
Yes and no.  The I-9 is still valid if the driver's license was unexpired when the I9 form was completed and expired after form completion.  To complete the I9 form, all documents from List A, B and C must be unexpired to be used as acceptable documents for form completion.   Employees cannot use an expired driver's license to complete an I9 form when hired.

Is it necessary to submit a position description for every student employee?
Yes. A signed position description must be submitted with the electronic Personnel Action Request (ePAR) for every new hire or re-hire. You will also need to complete a position description if the student has been promoted or if there is a change in job duties.

Can a student start working if the employment paperwork has NOT been completed?
A new hire employee can begin working once the department receives an email confirmation from that states the student can begin working. This means that the student employee has completed both sections of the I9 form.  If the other hiring paperwork is not completed, the student can begining working but the department MUST get the paperwork to Student Employment as soon as possible to not have a delay in pay for the student employee.

Should an Institutional Employment student employee and a FWS student employee be paid the same?
In accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, if employees are performing the same duties, then they should be paid equally.

What is the maximum number of hours a student employee can work a week?
A student can work up to 20 hours a week during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Can a hiring department employ FWS students during the summer?
No. The Student Employment office does not offer federal work study during the summer.  If you currently have a FWS student that would like to work over the summer, we suggest you hire them as an Institutional Employment (IE) or wage employee. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Employment office at  

How long do supervisors need to keep the application and screening material for students hired?
Student Employment recommends supervisors to maintain student employee files for 3 years after the student leaves their position. Employers may call supervisors to obtain a reference on the student.

Do I need to evaluate my student employees?
Student Employment highly recommends supervisors to evaluate their student employees once every semester. It is a way to make sure your students are not in the dark regarding their performance. A sample evaluation form can be found on the Student Employment website, however you can use your own version if you prefer.

Do I need to send student evaluations to Student Employment?
No. Student Employment does not keep files on any student employee. We recommend you holding on to your student’s evaluations for future reference.

When do I complete a contract extention?


Back to Top