Feature Image

Please Reference our Chapter 1606 Brochure for a detailed guide to applying and starting the benefit at JMU

If you have received Chapter 1606 benefits at another college or university, you will need to provide:

  • Copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility
  • The VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, online at va.gov
  • JMU form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits
  • JMU Student Agreement Form - Complete page 1, the Chapter 1606 section on page 2 and sign/date page 4.
  • Request a copy of your JST (Joint Services Transcript) for credit evaluation be sent directly to JMU. Official copy only. 
  • Copy of your DD-214 Member 4 for credit evaluation


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc). 
  • You must verify your attendance on the last calendar day of each month for your monthly stipend to be released. Please reference this link  for more information.

Back to Top