Feature Image

If you want to request benefits for an upcoming semester or session, you will need to complete:

  • JMU Veterans Education Benefits Request form for the upcoming semester
  • It will be emailed to you during registration from auto_notification@jmu.edu and requires an advisor signature for any course needed for your major. Gen-ed, degree and minor courses can be approved by the JMU veteran team. 
  • Return it to a School Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office once your schedule is finalized.
  • Let us know about any ROTC scholarships, State TA and/or Federal TA. Chapter 1606 and Federal TA can be used for the same course if training at 1/2 time or greater; concurrent use is not allowd if less than 1/2 time for a term. Not all ROTC scholarships can be used in conjunction with Chapter 1606 benefits. 


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Veterans Education Benefits Request form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc). 
  • You must verify your attendance on the last calendar day of each month for your monthly stipend to be released. Please reference this link  for more information.

Back to Top