Cover Photo Image

Federal regulations require James Madison University to disclose whether its licensure-related degree programs meet U.S. jurisdictions’ (states and territories) educational requirements for licensure (34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)). The office of the Associate Provost for Online Strategy maintains jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction information for students and prospective students on its state authorization web pages. 

A jurisdiction’s professional licensing boards often require applicants for licensure to meet multiple requirements, including specific educational requirements. An institution’s program might meet all of the educational requirements in one jurisdiction, but not another (for example, an applicant might need to complete an additional class).

If you are a prospective or current student of a JMU licensure program please refer to the JMU Professional Licensure Program Status by Jurisdiction Index to determine if a JMU program in which you have interest meets the educational requirements specified by the associated licensing board in your jurisdiction. You can search the chart by selecting the Select Program button or by selecting the State or Territory button (after you select the button, select the program or jurisdiction from the dropdown menu). The Select Program option will indicate whether a program Meets Requirements or Does Not Meet Requirements for a state/territory (jurisdiction) or if JMU has Not Yet Determined the status. In rare cases, the table will indicate that JMU Cannot Determine the eduational requirements. The Select State or Territory option lists the status of all programs in that state or territory.

Applicants are also encouraged to seek additional information for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Click the State name to visit a website for the licensing board or governmental agency in that state/territory and, if available, associated with the profession. 

Enrolled students who change their physical location while participating in a licensure program must notify JMU by contacting the University Registrar's Office. 

Back to Top