Information for Students Already Enrolled at JMU 

A student wishing to earn credits at another institution, either during the summer or during a regular academic session, MUST obtain permission in advance of taking courses from another institution (please complete: Permission Form to Take Courses for Transfer Credit.

  • For courses required for a student’s Major and for General Education, offered outside the Virginia Community College System, students will need approval both from the Academic Unit Head of the department/school and Associate Dean of University Studies/Appropriate Cluster Coordinator prior to submitting the “Permission Form to Take Courses for Transfer Credit” to the Office of the Registrar.  A student will need to present a Course Description and/or Course Syllabus to the appropriate person before approval will be considered.
  • For courses taken at Virginia Community College System institutions and listed on the General Education equivalency website, a student only needs to take a completed “Permission Form to Take Courses for Transfer Credit” form to the Office of the Registrar (no other signature is required).
  • Current JMU students wishing to transfer General Education credits back to JMU from the Virginia Community College System, please note that certain restrictions apply. JMU practices a liberal policy regarding transferring courses upon entering the university; however, once students begin working toward an undergraduate degree at JMU, they are expected to fulfill remaining General Education requirements with courses specifically designed for our curriculum by JMU faculty.

In ALL cases, students already matriculated at JMU MUST have a completed “Permission to Take Courses for Transfer Credit” form on file with the Office of the Registrar.  This form should be completed prior to registering for any course outside of JMU with the required signatures. JMU does NOT guarantee that permission will be granted.

The General Education program allows students to transfer credit for a particular course based on a comparison of course objectives and content at JMU with those at the other institution. Once students have enrolled for classes at JMU, they are expected to complete the General Education program here. The Vice Provost for University Programs, the Associate Vice Provost for University Programs, or a Cluster Coordinator must approve any exception to this policy.

The following restrictions will be applied to transferring in credit for the General Education program.

  • Students will be allowed to transfer in no more than three courses for General Education credit
  • No more than one transferred course may be applied to any one cluster
  • Transfer credit will NOT be awarded for course offerings in Cluster Four, The American Experience (HIST 225, JUST 225 and POSC 225) due to the content and unique features of these courses.

Exceptions to these policies will be reviewed on an individual basis. Such exceptions may include those students who wish to participate in study abroad programs or other special circumstances.

The student is responsible for having an official transcript mailed to the Office of the Registrar when the work has been completed. Credit hours will be awarded for approved courses carrying a "C" or better grade (2.0 quality points). Grades for courses taken at another institution are not included in grade point average calculations although they will be used in determining graduation honors for eligible students.

See a list of courses by General Education Clusters from the VA Community College System or Richard Bland College

Back to Top