Cover Photo Image

PLEASE NOTE:  This information ONLY applies to you IF your transcript indicates you are on academic suspension following the 2021 spring semester AND the 2021 summer session.

NOTE:  If you have been allowed to return to JMU through continued enrollment appeal/the re-entry process, you are subject to the terms in your contract letter

Your academic standing at the end of the 2021 summer session is academic suspension. According to university policy (, academic suspension is applied when a student’s cumulative grade point average is below the minimum required for continued enrollment.  A student on academic suspension may not attend JMU for at least the following twelve months, except as described in the Continued Enrollment Appeal paragraph of this letter.

If no prior (to spring/summer 2021) academic suspension notations appear on your transcript, you may apply for re-entry after, at minimum, a twelve-month absence by submitting an (online) Intent to Enroll form. If more than one academic suspension notation appears on your transcript, you will be required to remain separated from JMU for a minimum of twenty-four months and may only apply to return under the Transfer Equivalent Option. An academic review committee evaluates re-entry requests of academic suspension students to determine whether or not a student may return to James Madison University. Re-entry is not guaranteed.

Continued Enrollment Appeal.  If no prior (to spring/summer 2021) academic suspension notations appear on your transcript, you are eligible to appeal for continued enrollment at JMU for the 2021 fall semester by submitting a Continued Enrollment Appeal form.  Please consult for further guidance concerning the continued enrollment appeal process.  Please note: if you previously submitted a Continued Enrollment Appeal Form/have received a response to a previously submitted Continued Enrollment Appeal Form, you do not need to submit an additional form. 

2021 Continued Enrollment Appeal Submission Deadline

If you were enrolled in JMU 2021 summer session courses your submission deadline is…

August 18

Transfer Credit from Other Institutions.  You may wish to consider taking courses at another institution during your time away.  Other students in this situation have used their time away from JMU to complete courses that would transfer to JMU.  Prior to enrolling in courses at another institution, you should complete paperwork with the JMU Office of the Registrar to verify that the courses will be accepted by JMU.  Course work completed during the period of suspension may be considered as part of the criteria for re-entry, but courses taken at another institution cannot be used to raise your grade point average at JMU (your JMU cumulative GPA is calculated only based on grades earned for coursework completed at JMU).

On Campus Housing/Residence Life.  If you are living on campus in a residence hall or on Greek Row, you are obligated by the terms and conditions of the JMU Living Contract. You must contact a staff member or the Office of Residence Life (540-568-4663) to officially check out of your housing assignment.

You are strongly encouraged to review the Academic Standing, Continued Enrollment, and Re-Entry webpage ( for additional information about the university's policies concerning academic standing, continued enrollment, re-entry procedures, transfer credit, and financial aid. The webpage offers information that will help you make informed decisions, and you should read this page carefully to assure that you understand your rights and responsibilities.

If you have questions, contact your college’s contact person.

College Contacts:

College of Arts & Letters, Dr. Christopher Arndt at
College of Business, Ms. Molly Brown at
College of Education, Dr. Dara Hall at
College of Health and Behavioral Studies, Dr. Kevin Apple at
College of Integrated Science and Engineering, Dr. Jeffrey Tang at
College of Science and Mathematics, Dr. Brycelyn Boardman at
College of Visual and Performing Arts, Dr. Wren River Stevens at
School of Professional & Continuing Education (Adult Degree/BIS), Ms. Virginia Trovato at
University Programs (IDLS and Undeclared majors), Dr. Fletcher Linder at



Back to Top