Cover Photo Image

Please note:  this information applies to you ONLY IF your transcript indicates that you are on academic probation following the 2019 summer session.

SUBJECT:        Probation status at the end of the 2019 summer session 

NOTE FOR STUDENTS WHO RETURNED TO JMU FOR THE FALL 2018 SEMESTER, THE SPRING 2019 SEMESTER, AND/OR THE SUMMER 2019 SESSION THROUGH APPEAL/ACADEMIC REVIEW: If you have been allowed to return to JMU for the 2018 fall semester, the 2019 spring semester, and/or the 2019 summer session through appeal/academic review you are subject to the terms in your contract letter.

Your academic record at the end of the 2019 summer session places you on academic probation, an indication of serious academic difficulty. According to university policy ( or, academic probation is applied when a student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. While on academic probation, you may take no more than 13 credit hours each semester until your cumulative GPA has improved to academic good standing.

We are interested in supporting your progress toward graduation from JMU. The reason you have been limited to 13 credit hours is to assist you in improving your grade point average. Please be aware that as you accumulate more credit hours, each grade you receive has a smaller effect on your cumulative GPA. You cannot graduate from the university with less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA. If you are registered for more than 13 credit hours for 2019 fall semester, consult your academic adviser to assist you in choosing the course(s) you will drop; the deadline for adjusting your schedule is 5 p.m. on August 27, 2019. You can change your schedule through MyMadison; the system’s availability (dates and times) is posted there as well. If you have not conformed to the 13 credit hour limit by 5 p.m. on August 27, 2019, the Office of the Registrar will choose the course(s) to be dropped and make a schedule change. You will receive a revised schedule.

You may, in the case of extenuating circumstances and after consultation with your academic adviser, appeal to the college contact person for your major college for an exception to the 13 credit hour rule. Please note that the granting of a credit hour appeal is not guaranteed, but contingent upon review by the college contact person. Such review may result in denial.

There are numerous strategies that you can explore to assist you in improving your cumulative GPA. It is vital that you begin now to avoid the next, more serious step of academic suspension. As soon as possible, you should see your academic adviser who can direct you concerning courses you may need to repeat during the 2019 fall semester, as well as working with you to take advantage of the services of the University Writing Center, the Science and Math Resource Center, study skills programs, and other academic support options on campus.

Please keep in mind that a change in your enrollment level (i.e. dropping below full-time enrollment status) will impact your financial aid eligibility. We encourage you to contact The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships with questions about how dropping or withdrawing from a class or classes will impact your financial aid eligibility. 

Please consult with your academic adviser as soon as possible concerning your 2019 fall semester schedule and campus academic support services. If, after consultation with your adviser, you would like to request an exception to the 13 credit hour limit, please contact the person listed below for your college.

College of Arts & Letters, Mr. Dietrich Maune at

College of Business, Ms. Molly Brown at

College of Health and Behavioral Studies, Dr. Paula Maxwell at

College of Integrated Science and Engineering, Dr. Jeffrey Tang at

College of Science and Mathematics, Dr. Anthony Tongen at

College of Visual and Performing Arts, Dr. Wren River Stevens at

Outreach and Engagement (Adult Degree/BIS), Dr. Windi Turner at

University Programs (IDLS and Undeclared majors), Ms. Catherine Crummett at


System hours: 7 a.m. to Midnight
(A notice will be posted on MyMadison several days in advance
if the system needs to be taken down for maintenance)
Course Adjustment Deadlines:
Fall Semester – October 24
First Block – September 24
Second Block – November 14


Directions for using the Web registration system:

You can enroll from any computer that has access to the Internet by visiting, and clicking the MyMadison link.  From the MyMadison login page, you can test the compatibility of your browser with MyMadison, view tutorials, read alerts or special instructions that have been posted and link to the Office of the Registrar.  If you need assistance with MyMadison at any time, please use the on-line help, tutorials or contact the Office of the Registrar at 568-6281.  You may also seek assistance at our office, Student Success Center, Suite 5300.



Back to Top