Feature Image

Please Reference our Chapter 1606 Brochure for a detailed guide to applying and starting the benefit at JMU

Complete and submit online the VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits, through the vets.gov website.

  •  Attach your DD214 (Member-4 copy), NOBE, and kicker contract (if applicable) in the application
  •  The NOBE can be obtained from your unit (or from ROTC/Army National Guard office on campus)
  •  Completing the VA Form 22-1990 is a "one-time only" application through VONAPP
  •  Print or save a copy of the confirmation page for your records and one for the JMU School Certifying Official
  •  A Certificate of Eligibility or denial letter will arrive from VA within 12 weeks after submission of the application.
  •  Any questions about the content of either letter should be directed to the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-888-442-4551.

 At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:

  • Copy of VA Form 22-1990 confirmation page or VA's Certificate of Eligibility letter (if received)
  • DD 214 Member-4 copy
  • Kicker Contract (if applicable)
  • DD-2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (available from your unit commander)
  • Military or Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) transcript (if you've taken classes at another college)
  • JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits Form
  • Student Agreement Form


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc). 
  • You must verify your attendance on the last calendar day of each month for your monthly stipend to be released. Please reference this link  for more information.

Back to Top