James Madison University (JMU) has assigned all rights, titles and interest in any trademarks, logos and insignias owned or acquired by the University to the James Madison University Foundation (JMUF). JMUF has established a licensing program to insure that the public properly identifies and associates JMU on products bearing the institution’s marks.

Any products which carry an approved mark or logo of the University will be covered by the licensing program. Merchandise bearing JMU trademarks and logos are limited to merchandise produced by manufacturers that are officially licensed to produce JMU’s marks.  Officially licensed manufacturers are licensed and registered by the Foundation’s licensing agent, The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC)

Apply for a License

Campus organizations seeking to use JMU marks for fundraising projects, club projects, fraternity/sorority endeavors, etc. must first seek initial approval from the Associate Vice President for Business Services and then submit the proposal to a licensed manufacturer or to the JMU Foundation.

Crafter's Licensing Program: A crafter's license is reserved for individuals wishing to produce handmade James Madison University products. This license is ideal for fans who are interested in producing small quantities (500 units or less) of merchandise for craft fairs and online marketplaces instead of at retail stores. Learn more and download the Crafter's License Application (.docx)

For licensing information please contact Garrett King at (540) 568-4933 or by e-mail at gking@jmufoundation.org.

License Categories


Allows a company to produce products bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions for sale at retail in approved retail channels and direct to consumer, as well as university departments and related entities. Retail licensing agreements are administered by the CLC.


Allows a company to produce a product bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions for university departments and related entities for internal consumption only. Cannot provide product at retail or direct to consumer. Internal licensing agreements are administered by the CLC.


Allows crafters to produce hand-made products bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions. No sales are permitted on a wholesale basis or to third party retailers. Crafter licensing agreements are administered by the JMU Foundation Crafter's License Program.

Additional Licensing Resources

Back to Top