Academic Complaint Procedure

At James Madison University, we strive to provide the best possible learning experience to all of our students. We are committed to resolving student complaints in a fair and prompt manner. Please try to exhaust all avenues of complaint resolution within James Madison University before going outside of the University.

In the event that a student has a complaint about an online course, certificate, or degree program, we ask that the following procedures be followed:

  1. We ask that you follow the student grievance procedure as outlined in our university catalog. Generally, starting from the lowest level and working your way up is a good rule of thumb. If your complaint is academic, this means first speaking with your professor, then the academic department head, and then the dean of the college, as per the complaint procedure.
  2. If all campus-based procedures have been attempted, and the complaint has not been resolved, the student may complain directly to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.

If you are an out-of-state student and have a complaint that you feel has not been resolved through these grievance procedures, you may file a complaint with the state in which you reside. In compliance with Federal Department of Education regulations, we are providing this list of state agencies with contact information for each state: Student Complaint Information by State.

Non-Academic Complaints

Harassment and Discrimination

JMU students who have experienced discrimination, harassment, or sexual harassment should read the follow the guidelines offered by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX.

Honor Code

Upon enrollment at James Madison University, each student is automatically subject to the provisions of the Honor System. To learn about the JMU Honor Code, possible violations, reporting of violations, and all other matters related to the Honor Code,please visit the Honor Code website.

Back to Top