If you are an International Affairs major who is a native or heritage speaker of a non-English language, please follow the these steps to be tested for proficiency:

(NoteIf you have declared or plan to declare a Spanish major or minor or minor in Latin American, Latinx, and Caribbean Studies (LAXC) you cannot receive a waiver. You must either take SPAN 300 or take the SPAN 300 Credit by Examination. See this page for more information.)

Speakers of French, German, Russian and Spanish need to

  1. Take the Foreign Language Placement Exam.  
  2. Retake the placement exam in the Language Resource Center in Keezell 103 and score 650 or higher.
  3. Print the results and take BOTH the 1st and 2nd results to Keezell 301.

The Academic Unit Head will notify the International Affairs Department that you have proven your proficiency in the language.  You will be required to take two other courses to substitute for the foreign language courses. See your INTA advisor for details.

Speakers of other languages need to contact the coordinator for their language to arrange for proficiency testing. See the Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures website. 


Back to Top