Majors and Minors in Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures

Native or Heritage Speakers who wish to pursue a major or minor in their native language must be tested for proficiency (see below). If you place into the 300 level, you may take a separate examination for credit for the 300 class.  Upon passing the credit by examination for 300,  you may enroll in other FLLC courses that have that 300 as a requisite.

Go here to find out the process to take a SPAN 300 exam for credit.

Other Majors and Minors

If you need to satisfy a language requirement, you will need to be tested for proficiency, then complete a waiver form.

If you wish to take elective credits in your language, you need to be tested for proficiency. 

Testing for Proficiency

In order to be tested for proficiency:

Speakers of French, German, Russian and Spanish need to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam.  

Speakers of other languages need to contact the coordinator for their language to arrange for proficiency testing. See the Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures website. 

If you speak a language not offered by the FLLC department, please contact the department at 540-568-6128.

Back to Top