Dr. Jonathan Keller is today’s presenter for International Affairs, Political Science, Public Policy and Administration.

Political Science Frequently Asked Questions

What majors does the Political Science Department Offer?

The department offers three majors: Political Science, International Affairs, and Public Policy and Administration.

How many students have one of these majors at JMU?

We have nearly 1,000 students total across these three majors.

Are there any GPA restrictions or prerequisites needed before declaring one of these majors?

No. Any student can declare one of these majors. Students do need a 2.0 GPA in the major (and overall) to graduate from JMU, but there are no GPA minimums in order to declare our majors.

How do I see the curriculum (required courses and electives) for these majors?

For the Political Science major: https://www.jmu.edu/polisci/polisci.shtml
For the International Affairs major: https://www.jmu.edu/polisci/intlaffairs.shtml
For the Public Policy & Administration major: https://www.jmu.edu/polisci/publicpolicy.shtml

What minors does the department offer?

We offer minors in Political Science, Public Policy and Administration, and Political Communication.

What graduate programs does the department offer?

We offer a Master of Public Administration and a Master in Political Science with a focus in European Union Policy Studies. For JMU undergraduates, a Bachelor and Master degree can together be earned in five years.

Who should I contact if I want more information about these graduate programs?

For the MPA program, contact Dr. Fred Mayhew: mayhewfd@jmu.edu
For the Masters in European Union Policy Studies, contact Dr. Chris Blake: blakech@jmu.edu

Is it easy to double-major or add minors at JMU?

Many students have double-majors and minors at JMU. Courses can double count across majors and minors, so if you are an International Affairs major, for example, the Economics and Foreign Languages courses you take as part of the INTA major can also count toward an ECON or Foreign Languages major or minor.

Is there a pre-law major or minor at JMU?

No, but JMU offers pre-law advising and resources: www.jmu.edu/prelaw. While pre-law is not a major nor a minor at JMU, students can declare an interest in pre-law the same way they would declare a major or minor. The pre-law interest will be reflected on the student’s transcript and the student will be notified of pre-law events. Pre-Law CHOICES Presentation

Are there advisors on campus with a specialty in pre-law programs?

Yes, there are several listed on the pre-law website. Five professors in the Political Science Department are active in pre-law advising, including the head of the pre-law advising program, Dr. Melinda Adams (adams2mj@jmu.edu).

What if I’m interested in political science and want to teach primary, secondary, or special education?

Contact Dr. John Hulsey (hulseyjw@jmu.edu), the liaison between the Political Science Department and the College of Education at JMU.

Is admission to the Washington Semester Program competitive? And what year do students usually do the Washington Semester?

Yes. You must apply to the Washington Semester program, but most students who desire to do the program get in. Approximately 20 students per semester participate in this program. Students who participate in the Washington Semester typically do so during their Junior or Senior year at JMU.

Where can I go to get more information about the Political Science department’s programs?

The department’s website (www.jmu.edu/polisci) contains a lot of helpful information about our majors, faculty, internships, Washington Semester, graduate programs, and much more.

Contact Dr. Jon Keller, the Chair of the Political Science Department, with any questions: kelle2jw@jmu.edu

Back to Top