Practice your Interviewing Skills
Having a chance to practice interviewing will improve your performance in an actual interview.
We offer two options for practice interviews:
JMU's Practice Interview Program can help you gain valuable experience interviewing with employers without leaving campus! The employer will offer you professional feedback on your performance. All Practice Interviews happen in the Interview Center within our office on the 3rd floor of the Student Success Center.
Sign Up Now
Practice Interviews are scheduled through Recruit-A-Duke.
- To see a list of practice interviews, go to the Jobs and Internship Postings page in Recruit-A-Duke.
- Type “Practice Interview Program” in the search bar, using quotation marks.
- Click on the “Sort by” dropdown under the Search button, and select “Deadline”.
- Deadlines are always 2 days prior to the event, so if you want to interview on September 15th, look for September 13th deadlines.
- Click on the name of a company to see the page with detailed information. You do not need to be interested in that organization to conduct a practice interview with them.
- Click on the “Apply and Interview” button in the upper right.
97% of students who participated gained valuable experience from their practice interview. Here are some student comments:
- “The recruiter provided a lot of great input that I will carry with in future interviews. It was a great experience.”
- “It was a meaningful learning experience. I definitely advise other students to use this resource.”
- “This was my first professional interview. I think that it was very helpful and thank you for giving me the opportunity! I plan to sign up for more in the future.”
- Many practice interviews include behavioral interview questions. These questions are open-ended and ask you about past work or life experiences.
- Learn more about behavioral interviewing and other common interview questions, so you'll know what to expect.
- Before your practice interview, consider practicing at home, using InterviewStream.
All JMU students and alumni can use InterviewStream to conduct free, online practice interviews with a webcam. You will have access to frequently asked interview questions, or you can choose your own questions, or you can select a prepared interview. You can record yourself responding to each question, retry, and review the final product to improve your performance.
Features and benefits of using InterviewStream include:
- Convenience: You can practice online, any time of the day or night, from the comfort of your own room.
- Interview Questions Specific to your Field: You have the option of conducting an interview with questions that are specific to your future career field. InterviewStream organizes practice interview questions by industry. This allows you to create your own practice interview related to Business, Education, Technology, Sciences, Health Care, Communications, Art, Non-Profit, Social Services, Military, Recreation, and more.
- Expert Advice: InterviewStream also offers videos where recruiters provide advice and strategies for answering difficult interview questions and making the best impression in the interview, overall.
- Getting Feedback: After you conduct a practice interview on InterviewStream you’ll have a video of the entire interview that you can access later. You can send anyone (professors, family members, friends, mentors) the link to this video and ask for their feedback on your responses and non-verbal communication. You also have the option of reviewing the final video yourself and revisiting any of your responses to improve your performance.
To learn more about InterviewStream and preview how the system works, check out the InterviewStream intro video.
Go to the InterviewStream login page to get started.