Experience the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts, featuring five venues to captivate your spirit with soaring floor-to-ceiling glass lobbies, comfortable seating and audience amenities.
Athletics and sports events at JMU and information on tickets/games – BONUS! graduate students also get free football tickets!
Weekly movies are shown in the Grafton-Stovall Theatre. Usually there are two different movies showing at various times during the week. Admission is $2.50 with JAC card. No book bags are allowed in the theater.
The JMU Office of Student Activities and Involvement (OSAI) maintains a complete directory of all official clubs and student organizations. Graduate students are welcome to join and participate in any club or organization of interest.
Welcome Veterans! this site hosts various pages enhancing the student veteran academic experience and professional development.
Academic Resources & Learning Centers
Career and Academic Planning (CAP) is a service open to undergrads and graduate students to help them work on their professional goals. Services include resume workshops, career fairs, mock interviews and a database of open jobs and internships
Don’t let the name fool you…the staff at CFI serve graduate student needs too! Best part of all: It’s FREE to graduate students, and some longer sessions include free breakfast/lunch! In addition to programming focused on pedagogical approaches and faculty development, the CFI offers: Numerous workshops for all academics and professionals including:
- Grant Writing
- Logic and Reasoning
- Thesis and Disseration support
- Research Methods and Support
- Plenary talks & roundtable discussions with leading academics and professionals from across the world
- Development for aspiring faculty
The Center for Instructional Technology is committed to providing the JMU community with a wide range of consulting support and production services for developing online, blended, and technology-facilitated courses and programs that offer faculty and students new educational options and opportunities.
Disability services at JMU helps create an accessible community where students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to fully participate in their educational experience
The Communication Center provides resources and assistance with oral communication projects to the JMU community. The CC promotes students' communication excellence in the areas of speech preparation and presentation, small group problem solving and interpersonal skills. Specifically, the Center's student speech consultants provide help with Speech Preparation, Speech Anxiety, Speech Delivery, Speech Outlining, Communication Theory, and PowerPoint Application.
English Language Learner Services creates learning opportunities for all students that foster personal transformation and academic achievement by helping multilingual learners refine their academic English.
The writing center offers writers help with all types of writing ranging from scholarly articles to citation problems to research strategies.
- Free, individualized writing consultations
- Faculty consultations for designing assignments and for responding to student writing
- Online resources
- Online tutoring for those who have trouble visiting the center
- Computer lab and study space
There are two main libraries at JMU (Carrier Library and Rose Library). However, there are also two smaller, more specific libraries, located in the Music Building and in Memorial Hall
Carrier and Rose Library
Hours: (summer and holiday hours vary)
- Carrier and Rose Library both have numerous group study rooms, some that you can book and others are first come first serve
- You can connect to the JMU wireless network through the library to get access to online journals and electronic resources from off campus
- Each library has desktop computers open to students and printing stations available (5 centers/page)
- The libraries also have laptops, chargers, and wires to connect computers to flat screen tvs (located in group study rooms) for rent
- Carrier Library has 3 stories and is located on main campus
- Rose Library has 5 stories, is located on east campus and includes a 24 hour room with a computer lab
Health and Wellness Resources
There are many general medical services that the University Health Center provides for students, including general illness care for flu, cold, mono,etc
- The UHC also has a dermatology physician assistant on staff during the regular school year
- Acute care services are available for students that have urgent medical conditions (ex. Stitches, sprains, minor fractures, allergic reactions)
- The UHC also has a women’s health clinic that provides services such as: pelvic exam, pap smear, contraception prescriptions, STI testing and treatment and pregnancy testing and referrals
- There is a full list of service list and fees online at the JMU UHC website
- There is no fee for simply visiting the clinic. However, if you receive a lab test or a vaccine, or are late to your appointment, there will be a fee Payment option: Cash, check, FLEX, MasterCard/VISA
- The counseling center, located at the Varner House on campus, is available to students
- The center offers individual counseling, group counseling, and crisis assistance free of charge
- The center also offers psychiatric services. Prescriptions should be filled through student’s outside insurance
- Located on east campus
- Includes a 33-foot climbing wall, racquetball courts, basketball/ volleyball courts, indoor track, cardio theatre, indoor pool/sauna/spa area, locker rooms, massage studio, a TRX Training Center, and group fitness areas
- Several outdoor areas including a courtyard for sand volleyball and outdoor turf fields
- Houses an equipment center where sports and camping/outdoor equipment can be checked out or rented.
- Graduate students can sign up to take group fitness classes free of charge and are also welcome to participate in intramural sports
As a student at JMU, you should consider perusing the JMU Student Handbook. Although this document was created with undergraduate students in mind, it contains the University Honor Code as well as other important university policies that may be of interest to you as a graduate student.
JMU campus police publish annual crime reports available for review by JMU community. They can be accessed on the public safety web site.