Students majoring in modern foreign languages must complete the intermediate level of a second language unless they are:

  • Completing a second major.
  • Completing a teaching licensure or an education minor.
  • Completing two degrees.
  • Completing a pre-professional health program.

If none of these apply to you, then you will need to take classes in another foreign language up to and including 232.

If you are proficient in a language other than English and the foreign language in which you are majoring, you may satisify your second foreign language requirement by placing into the 300 level on a placement exam and confirming your score.

Satisfying Your Foreign Language Requirement with a Placement Exam

You can satisfy your second language requirement for your Foreign Language major  IF

1. You place into the 300 level of a language
2. You confirm your placement.

To confirm the placement you will need to either enroll in and pass the 300 class
retake the FLPE in the Language Resource Center (Keezell 103) to confirm your 300 placement.

If you would like to confirm your FLPE placement in the Language Resource Center, please contact Dr. Stephany Plecker beforehand so she can reassign the exam to you. 

When you arrive at the Language Resource Center to retake your exam, be sure to tell the lab assistant on duty you are there to confirm your score. Then retake the exam and print out two copies of your results page. Give one to the lab assistant on duty.

If you go to confirm your placement and do not place into 300 again, you must take the class in which you placed and finish up to the 232 level to fulfill your B.A. requirement.
If you do place into 300 again in the Language Resource Center, then your two-year B.A. foreign language requirement will be waived. (However, you will not receive credits for the placement exam.)

Back to Top