Separating Employment

Who should I notify first of my separation from employment?

You will need to inform your supervisor or department of your intentions to separate employment. Your department will then prepare the paperwork to process your separation and notify Human Resources.

What is an exit interview?

An exit interview is a meeting with an employee separating from the university and a member of Human Resources. The purpose of this interview is to assist you with questions you may have regarding the separation. The information also helps to assess what the university could improve, change or remain intact. It is also used to assist the university in reducing employee turnover and increasing productivity and engagement.

Where do I turn in my JMU property?

Refer to the Checklist for Supervisor of Transferring or Separating Employees.

When will I receive my last pay advice?

The payroll cycle that your last physical work day occurred in will determine the date for your last pay advice. Refer to the Payroll Services website for the payroll calendar and deadlines.

What if I have any outstanding balances for courses, computer loans, or other university purchases?

Any monies owed to the university will be deducted from your last pay advice.

What if I have money remaining on my JACard?

If you have a balance left on your JACard at the time of separation it will be refunded on your last pay advice. If you have any outstanding debts owed to the university the monies will be applied to the debt first.

Back to Top