Cover Photo Image

What you can do

If your friend or colleague has experienced sexual harassment or sexual misconduct, there are several ways you can be supportive. Listed below are just a few things you can do to help someone.

If you are a Responsible Employee and would like to make a report online, Click here to access the online report form. You are also encouraged to:

  • Call 540-568-5219 during university business hours,
  • Email, or
  • Visit our office in the Access and Inclusion Suite on the 4th floor of Holland Yates Hall (formerly Madison Hall) in Rm 4023.
Share University Resources

Let them know there may be university resources available, such as: 

  • Confidential Resources
  • Supportive Measures through Title IX
  • Mental Health Professionals
  • Victim Advocacy

Click here for a downloadable PDF of resources and supportive measures.

Offer Support

If a friend, colleague, or student has come to you for support, listen and be compassionate. You do not need to ask for more details or pressure them into divulding more than they are comfortable with sharing.  

If you are required to report an incident, let the person know that Title IX will be reaching out with information about resources and options. 

If you want to learn more about how to speak with a person who shares an incident of sexual harassment or sexual misconduct or explore possible reporting scenarios with a professional, please contact the Title IX Office. 

Reporting as a Responsible Employee

If a friend, colleague, or student has shared an experience of sexual harassment or sexual misconduct, you may report the incident to Title IX through our online reporting form, over the phone, over email, or in person. 

Responsible Employees are required to report to the Title IX Office. Responsible Employees include any university employee who is not a Confidential Resource.

The following are Confidential Resources:

  • Victim Advocates, mental health counselors, social workers, psychologists, health center employees, any other person with a professional license requiring confidentiality or an employee in the office who is suppervised by such a person, and
  • Affiliates who are pastoral or religious counselors, and
  • Undergraduate students who are not employed by the Office of Residence Life

Back to Top