Cover Photo Image

The major is administered through the Department of Political Science, an academic unit within the College of Arts and Letters.

International Affairs is an interdisciplinary program for students interested in varied aspects of the global community. The major requires classes in political science, economics, history, language, and culture. All students take a capstone course that enables them to apply knowledge and skills gained through previous coursework to a major research project in an area of interest. Students may choose to specialize in international relations or in a particular geographic area. Area specializations in the comparative study concentration include Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.

The departmental faculty includes specialists in international security, human rights, international law, comparative public policy, international political economy and specific geographic areas. The major also draws on faculty from the departments of economics, foreign languages and literature, geography, history, justice studies, religion, sociology and anthropology. Graduates pursue careers in government and politics, intelligence, international business, international non-profit organizations, law, research and analysis, and other fields.

Degrees Offered



Comparative Study

International Relations



Declaring the Major

New Freshmen and Transfer Students
Students should declare the International Affairs major when they register for orientation.

Currently Enrolled Major Changers 
Current students wishing to declare or change a major, minor or pre-professional program must complete a request through MyMadison. Additional department specific information will be available when that academic plan is selected.  Follow all directions and steps necessary to execute your request. Once all necessary steps are completed, the department will either approve or deny your request or contact you for additional information.

For additional assistance making this request, view the Change/Declare a Major/Minor tutorial in MyMadison or on the tutorials website.

Progressing in the Major

Remain in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.

Back to Top