Cover Photo Image
The program will prepare students for graduate studies in speech-language pathology and audiology

There is a nationwide shortage of speech-language pathologists and audiologists so they are in strong demand for jobs. The undergraduate degree can be pursued as a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) option. 

Request Info

CSD Strong Job Outlook
CSD Clinical Experience
Communication Sciences and Disorders
Degrees Offered






Communication Sciences and Disorders
(Students who have entered JMU in the 2017-2018 academic year are the last group eligible to declare the minor.)

The communication sciences and disorders major is designed to provide students with pre-professional preparation essential to pursuing graduate work in speech-language pathology or audiology. Graduate degrees at the masters or doctoral level are necessary to work as speech-language pathologists or audiologists. These individuals work as professionals to assist people who have communication disorders; teachers, clinical supervisors and/or researchers in universities; administrators and leaders in healthcare or educational settings.

Research is essential in order to understand more about how humans communicate and the problems that can interfere with their communication. The major encourages students to become involved in research, provides them with opportunities to pursue honors projects and honors theses, and encourages students to attend and present their research work with the student's faculty mentor at regional and national conferences.

There is a nationwide shortage of speech-language pathologists and audiologists, so they are in strong demand for jobs. Communication sciences and disorders provides an excellent background for students who want to pursue careers in related areas such as special education, deaf education, medicine, or dentistry and offers an exciting and fascinating course of study for students who simply wish to study the area as a major.

Declaring the Major

New Freshmen and Transfer Students
Students should declare the communication sciences and disorders major when they register for orientation.

Currently Enrolled Major Changers 
Current students wishing to declare or change a major, minor or pre-professional program must complete a request through MyMadison. Additional department specific information will be available when that academic plan is selected.  Follow all directions and steps necessary to execute your request. Once all necessary steps are completed, the department will either approve or deny your request or contact you for additional information.

For additional assistance making this request, view the Change/Declare a Major/Minor tutorial in MyMadison or on the tutorials website.

Progressing in the Major

Remain in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Students must complete CSD 207, CSD 208 and CSD 209 each with a grade of "C" or better to proceed to the 300 level course work in communication sciences and disorders.

The major is a part of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, an academic unit within the College of Health and Behavioral Studies.

Back to Top