Dr. G. Tyler Miller

Dr. G. Tyler Miller - President, 1949-1971

President G. Tyler Miller successfully convinced the Virginia General Assembly in 1966 to allow Madison College to build residence halls for men so the institution could become fully educational. He had first expressed the wish for Madison to become coeducational in the early 1950s but he was unsuccessful in that effort. Dr. Miller enlarged the institution's campus by 240 acres and constructed 19 major buildings. The Miller administration revamped the institution's curriculum, developing a full liberal arts program to join the teacher education program. In 1954, the expanding school received authorization to award master's degrees. During Dr. Miller's presidency, enrollment grew from 1,400 to 4,000.

Back to Top