Algebra I Add-on Endorsement

The JMU Department of Mathematics and Statistics has worked with the Virginia
Department of Education to establish an approved program for JMU graduates with the IdLS major,
education minor, and mathematics concentration to become endorsed to teach mathematics courses
through Algebra I.

Any Student who is interested in the Algebra I Add-on (AAO) will need to have credit (either by
taking the course at JMU or by transfer credit) for the following courses:
Math 107, Math 108, Math 207
Math 304, Math 305, Math 306, Math 307
Math 135

In addition the following grade requirements must be met:

C- or better in each of the above courses, or in a course which substitutes for one of the above
courses (This requirement is applicable to all of the above courses taken Spring 2013 and

2.75 or better cumulative GPA for all the math courses that are required for the AAO. (This
requirement is applicable beginning Summer 2013.)

Comparable courses to Math 135 (Elementary Functions - Algebra with Trigonometry) may be taken at
other schools and the credits transferred to JMU. If a student exercises this option, he/she must
seek prior approval from the department chair that the course will transfer to JMU to fulfill the
Math 135 requirement.

Math 235 at JMU, including transfer credit for Math 235, will satisfy the trigonometry requirement.

The Math 135 requirement can be waived by a sufficient score on the Math Placement Test (MPT). A
student will need to contact the Mathematics/Statistics departmental office at 568-6408 for score
verification. The MPT is taken the summer before freshman year or when entering JMU as a transfer.

Any student using the MPT to satisfy the trigonometry requirement will need to complete a Course
Substitution/Course Waiver Form. The Math/Stat Department will verify and sign the course waiver
for the trigonometry requirement.

When a student meeting the above requirements for the AAO applies for teacher licensure, that
student should indicate on the licensure application that he/she is seeking the AAO. Personnel in
the Education Support Center are able to provide guidance in this process.

Questions? See Dr. Carothers in Roop 305 or Prof. Kidd in Roop 331.

Back to Top