Sexual Violence Advocacy and Prevention
In addition to medical services, the University Health Center provides advocacy services and educational programming rooted in primary prevention of sexual and intimate partner violence.
Confidential advocacy services are available to provide students with a supportive way to navigate their options and resources. To meet with an advocate, contact Liz Howley, Assistant Director - Sexual Violence Advocacy & Prevention at email@example.com or 540-568-6251.
Campus Coalition Against Sexual Assault - Information for students and faculty/staff regarding reporting options and survivor resources.
Campus Assault ResponsE (CARE) - Student organization providing education and a 24/7 student-run helpline when JMU is in session 540-568-6411.
Survivor Resource Map
A sexual assault has been reported to a JMU faculty, staff, or student. Options for survivor resources:
- Options for confidential health-related resources:
- University Health Center: Emergency contraception, medical examination/STI testing. Phone: (540)568-6178; Student Success Center, 1st and 2nd Floor - UHC’s The Well: Survivor advocacy, support, and prevention. Phone: (540)568-2831; Student Success Center, 1st Floor - Counseling Center: Sexual Trauma Empowerment Program, counseling, and consultation. Phone: (540)568-6552; Student Success Center, 3rd Floor - Campus Assault ResponsE: Student-run 24/7 helpline. Phone: (540)568-6411
- Options for non-confidential campus and criminal resources:
- JMU Police: On-campus assault. Phone: (540)568-6911; Anthony Seeger Hall. Clery Officer: Lisa Carickhoff
- Office of Student Accountability and Restorative Practices: The accused party must be a current JMU student. Phone: (540)568-6218; Student Success Center, 2nd Floor
- Office of Equal Opportunity/Title IX: Accommodations may include a no-contact order, class changes, and/or room changes. Website: jmu.edu/titleIX
- Resources outside of JMU:
- Harrisonburg Police for off-campus assault: Call 911.
- Collins Center & Child Advocacy Center: Off-campus crisis counseling, support, and advocacy. Phone: (540)432-6430; 217 South Liberty St. #205 Harrisonburg, VA; Website: thecollinscenter.org
- Sentara RMH Emergency Department: Within 72 hours of the assault, a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) can be performed – the following people will be called: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE Nurse), police department investigator from where the assault occurred, and an advocate from the Collins Center.
- Anonymous Reporting:
- Silent Witness: Website: jmu.edu/pubsafety/SilentWitness
Student handbook definitions
- Sexual assault - Engaging or attempting to engage in any sexual intercourse (oral, anal, or vaginal) or penetration (oral, anal, or vaginal), however slight, with any object or body part upon another individual without consent
- Non-consensual sexual contact – Intentional touching, either of the victim or when the victim is forced to touch, of a body part in a sexual manner without consent, however slight, direct, or indirect (e.g. through clothing)
- Sexual exploitation - Taking sexual advantage of another person without consent
- Sexual harassment – Unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that seriously and/or repeatedly affects an employee’s or student's performance or creates a hostile work or study environment
- Relational violence – Relationally motivated physical assault(s), or serious threat(s) of bodily harm, including, but not limited to domestic violence and dating violence
- Consent - Words or actions that show a knowing and voluntary agreement to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity
- Incapacitation - Physical and/or mental inability to make informed, rational judgments
examples included in student handbook
- Dukes take pledge to stop sexual assault - Oct. 10, 2014 jmu.edu
- Campus discussions increasingly focus on sexual assault - Sept. 26, 2014 Washington Post
- One student org's plan to address sexual assault - Sept. 4, 2014 jmu.edu
- A 'Haven' in a difficult topic - Aug. 26, 2014 jmu.edu
- New Dukes learn how to step up - Aug. 22, 2014 jmu.edu
- JMU committed to confronting sexual violence - Aug. 20, 2014 jmu.edu