MGIB Chapter 1607 (REAP)
Montgomery G.I. Bill® Chapter 1607 provides up to 36 months of education assistance to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and the National Guard, who are called or ordered to active duty for 90 days or more in response to a war or national emergency.
For more information about Chapter 1607 benefits, please visit the Veterans Affairs website or contact VA at 1-888-442-4551.
ATTENTION - Effective Spring 2015 semester and forward - per DOD policy, students may not apply Chapter 1607 and Federal TA for the same course.
Complete and submit online, VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits, through the VONAPP website.
- Watch for: Letter of Eligibility or denial letter from VA within 12 weeks after submission of application. Any questions about the content of either letter should be directed to the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-888-442-4551.
At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:
- Certificate of Eligibility (or copy of 22-1990 application if CoE has not arrived in the mail)
- DD214 Member 4 Copy
- Kicker Contract (if applicable)
- DD-2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (available from your unit commander)
- Military or Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) transcript (if you've taken classes at another college)
- JMU form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits
Important: In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, allowed elective, or degree requierements for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benfits are requested. After your 1st semester using your VA Benefits at JMU, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registration for the upcoming semester. It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major. No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc)
If you wish to request benefits for an upcoming semester or session, you will need to complete:
- the JMU form and submit it to one of the VA Certifying Officials. It will be emailed to you during registration and requires an advisor signature for any course needed for your major.
If you have received Chapter 1607 benefits at another college or university, you will need to provide:
- Copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility
- the VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training,
- the JMU form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits
JMU's VA Certifying Official will process a student's request for benefits approximately one month before the semester starts (once all required documents are received). Within 5-8 weeks, VA will generate and mail an active award benefit letter to the student.
After receiving this letter, the student must VERTIFY school attendance in either VA's Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) online system or by phone at 877-823-2378 to release VA payments. Vertifying attendance, after the initial period, MUST be completed on the last calendar day of every month that the student attends classes.
Failure to do so will result in a delay of payment for the classes attended the month before.
The W.A.V.E.S. online system permits students to perform a multitude of functions, including:
- verify that enrollment has not changed
- report a change in enrollment
- change in mailing address
- inititate or change direct deposit information
- view the enrollment period and monthly benefit amount
- view the remaining entitlement
- sign up for a monthly email reminder
The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) allows students to phone in their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month.