Affordable Care Act (ACA) and PAR Forms Session (TD1916)

Why does the PAR still refer to PNTs if we no longer use this designation and why aren't all the new account codes on the PAR?

An up-to-date version of the PAR form is now available on the HR forms page. The reference to PNT has been removed from the PAR form and all relevant account codes have been added to the dropdown list. In addition, there is now an option for indicating whether a MOU or a contract has been attached or will be forthcoming. ePAR account codes are coming soon.

When is it necessary to include a working title on the PAR?

All work assignments should be given a working title. Your HR Consultant is available to assist you in determining an appropriate title for the work being done

Part-time hours are limited to 29 hours per week. Are we still able to average these over the 12-month measurement period?

Yes, the number of part-time hours worked should be 29 hours or less per week, on average, over the standard measurement period of May 1 through April 30.

Since all part-time hours working are cumulative, does this mean that hours worked at other state agencies are added to an employee's part-time hours worked at JMU?

No, hours worked at JMU are counted separately from hours worked at other state agencies.

What is the difference between a covered and a non-covered position?

Covered positions offer employee-paid or department-paid benefits; non-covered do not offer participation in any benefits plan.

I'm unclear how to determine the amount of hours I should put on PARs for both full-time and part-time people who are hired to perform part-time assignments. Can you provide some guidance on this?

Yes, your HR Consultant is only a phone call or email away and they can help you with this and other questions you may have.

Can we call our consultant for verification of the number of hours an individual may still have available to work out of their 1,500 hour limit?

Yes, and with the implementation of upcoming ePAR enhancements, you will be able to view the remaining hours available for any existing employee you may wish to hire. Average weekly hours will not be shown; however, the total number of hours remaining will be provided

Are we tracking student employee/graduate assistant hours as well?

Yes, please include student employees’ hours on the PAR just like you do for other part-time employees.

When is it necessary to complete a Memo of Understanding (MOU)?

MOUs are needed any and each time you are hiring/re-hiring Recurring non-teaching (RNT), Temporary non-teaching (TNT), or Part-time salaried non-teaching (PTS) employees. MOUs are NOT needed when hiring wage or adjunct employees. Adjuncts and the hiring department will need to complete an Adjunct Faculty Appointment Letter instead of a Memo of Understanding.

When is VP approval required?

When hiring Part-time salaried non-teaching (PTS) and Quasi full-time salaried non-teaching (QNT) employees because of the additional cost of benefits to the department. (FYI-These positions have distinct position numbers.)

Is there a difference between hiring someone as a wage employee and hiring them in one of the new part-time positions which replace the old part-time, non-teaching (PNT) positions?

Actually it is preferable to hire someone as a wage employee, as the university’s time entry system allows for tracking of wage hours. Time can be accurately calculated and the position can be managed more effectively to meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and the Manpower Control Program.

What account code would I use to pay lump sum after completion stipends to faculty who attend our institutes?

114530, Temporary part-time, non-teaching (TNT) is one of the account codes being used to replace the old PNT.  The TNT account code is used for short-term, less than nine month assignments that will not be rehired annually. A Memo of Understanding (MOU) is required, along with the PAR.

Do we have to complete an MOU for a faculty member who works on a grant for extra pay?

Yes, and it will be necessary to have a conversation with your HR Consultant to discuss the number of hours being worked. Your consultant will discuss with you which new account code would be appropriate to use.

Are we required to follow ACA guidelines when hiring for all part-time grant funded assignments?

Yes, grant funded positions are no different when it comes to the Affordable Care Act and the Manpower Control Program.

What progress has been made on rolling out the ePAR for Academic Affairs?

Winter 2014 is the goal for rolling out the ePAR with an expanded package of features. We are still working through ePAR details with IT, Payroll and Academic Affairs.

Will the entire division of Academic Affairs begin the ePAR process at the same time?

The roll-out will occur by college and by department within the college. This will be strategically planned by the division.

Do I have to be logged into the HRMS system to receive notifications that an ePAR is awaiting approval? How does this notice arrive?

No, you do not need to be logged into the HRMS. Notifications arrive by email. The email contains a link to the ePAR, which allows you to comment on it, and approve it.  Please note that ePARs cannot be approved/accessed off-campus.

Are notifications sent throughout the ePAR process?

Yes, PAR originators will receive notifications throughout each step of the ePAR process.

Is it possible to minimize the number of emails VPs receive during the approval process?

Emails are sent on an ‘all or none’ basis. There is currently no way to turn off emails for an individual. A solution is to create a rule in Outlook in which to forward ePAR notifications to a dedicated folder.

What if an approver deletes an ePAR notification thinking it is not important?

It is important to watch for ePAR approval emails. If deleted, there is a worklist link in the HR system where all ePARs awaiting approval can be viewed.

Will we be able to print copies of an ePAR since so many of our processes are based around the PAR form?

Unfortunately the answer is no; the ePAR does not print nicely. It is possible to make a screenshot of each page. Please contact HR PAR Coordinator, Amber Lam, if you have specific needs.

Will we have to establish our own department tracking systems for ePARs?

Departments may wish to establish internal procedures regarding their ePAR processes.

Once an ePAR has been through the approval routing, does it then just disappear?

No, it does not disappear once it’s been through the routing process. The ePAR originator will be able to log into the HRMS and see the ePAR.

Will we be able to see a list of adjuncts we hired for the fall semester?

You will be able to see a list of hires in the ePAR system.

My department received VP approval to hire a Part-time salaried non-teaching (PTS) employee. I understand that the employee will be eligible to purchase health insurance through the state and that the employee must pay for that benefit. Does the employee also pay for life insurance and retirement benefits?

The department is responsible for paying for life insurance and retirement benefits. PTS hires require VP approval and are not readily used when hiring for part-time assignments.

What if an employee regularly works over 29 hours per week, even though the employee was not expected to do so?

The MOU is completed upon hire, and by doing so, the responsibility to adhere to the hours stipulated within the MOU is a shared responsibility between the employee and the hiring department.

What are the consequences when a retiree of the state is re-hired and works more than 32 hours per week?

Retirees must work less than 32 hours per week or risk losing their VRS benefit. Retirees may not work in excess of 31 hours per week. The state policy is that retirees work hours must be 20% less than a full time position with the intention of total hours averaging 29 per week over the entire measurement period. If JMU, as the employer, disregards the rules governing the hours to be worked for a retiree, the retiree’s benefit will be adjusted going forward and VRS may collect the overpayments from JMU.

Back to Top