Application Requirements

Application Deadline

The Nursing program (Nurse Midwifery, Clinical Nurse Leader, Nurse Administrator) accepts applications on a rolling basis. Completed applications should be received at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.

If applying to any Nurse Practitioner concentrations, there is a deadline of March 1 to be given first consideration. Full and part-time students will enter the program in the fall of each year.

Program Begins

 Fall, Spring


Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions should be uploaded with your electronic application and may be used for departmental admission review purposes. If offered admission, you will be directed and required to submit to the JMU Graduate School an official transcript from any institution from which a degree has been awarded to finalize your admission. Transcripts are considered official if they are sent to JMU directly from the issuing institution.

Required by Program
  • When applying for the Nurse Midwifery or Psychiatric Mental Health program you will need to also apply and meet Shenandoah University requirements.
  • Current resume or curriculum vitae
  • Personal education/professional goals statement
  • Two letters of recommendation, at least one from someone that has evaluated applicant’s work (faculty or employer)
  • Applicants should also hold a Bachelor of Science with a cumulative GPA of 2.8 (GPA of 3.0 for Nurse Midwifery and Nurse Practitioner), hold a current Virginia nursing license, have relevant clinical nursing experience, and have taken a 3-credit undergraduate or graduate level course in statistics with a grade of "C" or higher.
  • Meet the department’s disability accommodation
  • Complete an interview upon request      


Test Requirements

The CNL/NA programs will not require the GRE/MAT entrance exam. The Nurse Midwifery and Nurse Practitioner MSN concentrations will retain the GRE/MAT requirement.

International students or students who have studied at non-US institutions, please, read the notes in the International Student section below.

Online Application
International Applicants

International Graduate Information

The Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) program does not qualify for a student visa.

If you graduated outside of the USA, you will need to pass the CGFNS Exam (both parts), apply for Virginia R.N. License, and have a TOEFL score of 88 or higher.

If you graduated outside of the USA, you will upload a credential evaluation of non-U.S. college or university degrees and transcripts from one of the services listed at this link: Credential_Evaluation

Back to Top