This web page provides information about the ALEKS Math Assessment and the Foreign Language Placement Exam (FLPE).

Your JMU major may require specific or additional math courses. To determine whether or not you need to take the ALEKS Math Assessment, complete the Math Decision Tree. The Foreign Language Placement Exam (FLPE) is dependent on the type of degree you are seeking. Read below for important information on both placement exams.  As a JMU student, you are bound by the JMU Honor Code.

1. ALEKS Math Assessment

Determine if you need to take the ALEKS Math Assessment.  Whether or not you need to take it depends on your JMU major and your transfer math credit. Below you will find a link to the Math Decision Tree. 

Math Decision Tree - all transfer students must complete this to determine whether or not you need to take the ALEKS math assessment. Please note: all first-year students must take the ALEKS math assessment, regardless of any AP/IB or dual enrollment credit you are bringing in for math.

A note about calculus - the following majors require (at minimum) MATH 235 (or MATH 231+232), Calculus I: Biology, Biophysical Chemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geology, Integrated Science and Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Quantitative Finance, and Statistics. MATH 205, Applied Calculus, will not satisfy the calculus requirement for these majors.

Minoring in a Pre-Professional Health program? Please be aware that there may be math requirements that differ from those of your major. See the Pre-Professional Health web site for more information.

Change of Major? Sometimes students will change their major after they have started at JMU, which may mean a change in the math requirement. If the Math Decision Tree determined that you did not need to take the ALEKS assessment, but you later change your major and need a math score to enroll in a math class, please contact Ms. Catherine Crummet at, or Ms. Kate McDaniel at for assistance accessing the assessment.

Quick Links
2. Foreign Language Placement Exam (FLPE)

The JMU FLPE exam is not a mandatory exam.  Students interested in pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree, a minor in a foreign language, or majoring in International Business or International Affairs have a foreign language requirement. Other students may simply be interested in beginning a language or continuing study in a language for their own benefit.  JMU does not give credit for introductory foreign language courses taken at your previous college if you took the same language for 2 years or more in high school. If you want to continue in the same language, you must take the JMU Foreign Language Placement exam.

Read below to learn about enrolling in a foreign language class and whether or not you need to take the JMU Foreign Language Placement Exam.     

Students beginning a new language:  Enroll in the 101 level of the course (e.g. ITAL 101)

Students continuing in French, German, Russian, and Spanish:  

  1.  Click here to determine if you need to take the online JMU FLPE for French, German, Russian, or Spanish.  This is an online exam.

  2.  If you take the exam, your JMU FLPE score should be posted to the MyMadison system within 48 hours of completion.  View this tutorial to learn how to find your JMU FLPE score in the MyMadison system. 

  3.  Use the Foreign Language Placement Matrix to find your course recommendation.  For example, a JMU FLPE score of 430 on the French exam places you into FR 232.  The MyMadison system will not allow you to enroll in a class unless your FLPE placement score is in the appropriate score range. 

 If you took the SAT II for French, German, or Spanish, click here for placement information. 

Students continuing study in all other languages:  Enroll in the 231 course level of that language (e.g. ITAL 231).  You will confirm or adjust your course level in August when you meet with the coordinator for that language.

Back to Top