Clery Reportable Trips  

Pursuant to the Clery Act, James Madison University is required to disclose on an annual basis certain reported crime statistics that occur during University sponsored / arranged domestic and international student trips. Community members who are administratively responsible for domestic and international student trips are expected to report student trip information to the Clery Compliance Officer for compliance.

Clery Reportable Trips                                              
Not all student trips need be reported. For trips to be reportable, student trips must meet certain requirements. The University must have control over the trip or program accommodation and any related academic space used in conjunction with the trip. Control, as defined by the Clery Act, means that there is a written agreement (no matter how informal) directly between the University and the end provider for use of the space.

In addition, the controlled space must be used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes and frequented by students. Some examples of a written agreement include renting hotel rooms, leasing apartments, leasing space in a student housing facility or academic space on another campus and even an e-mail agreement for use of space free of charge. Hostels are not normally reportable unless the written agreement gives the University control over the space within the accommodation.

Why is this information needed?

Information on qualifying student trips is needed by Clery Compliance Officer for follow-up with the local law enforcement agency associated with the trip location. A request will be sent to the trip location law enforcement agency with jurisdiction to determine if any Clery Act qualifying crimes (occurring during the trip time frame and at the University arranged accommodation and/or related academic space) were reported to local law enforcement.

Guidelines for Trips          Trip Form Link

                                    Optional Spread Sheet Submission

Trip Accommodation and/or Academic   Space Usage Agreement

Student Trip Accommodation

Length of Student Trip

Clery Act Reportable Student Trip

The University has a written agreement with end provider for trip accommodations and/or academic space for   use of the accommodations or space.

The same accommodations are used  every year or more frequently.

1 night or more


The University has a written agreement with end provider for trip accommodations and/or academic space for use of the accommodations or space 

You don’t anticipate using the same accommodation every year.

2 or more nights


The University has a written agreement with a third party to arrange trip accommodations and/or academic space for use of the accommodations or space

Same accommodation used every year   or more frequently

1 night or more


University sponsored trip


 Day trip


Student organized or private trips – no university agreement

Student arranged

1 night or more



If you have any questions on whether your trip or program should be reported, please contact the Clery Compliance Officer, Lisa Carickhoff at 540-568-6769 or email at  

Back to Top