Alternative Methods of Instruction Delivery

The University reserves the right to provide some or all instruction and related academic activities through alternative methods of delivery, including remote delivery. It also reserves the right to change the method of delivery before or during an academic term in the event of a health or safety emergency or other circumstance when it determines that such change is necessary or in the best interests of the campus community. Tuition and mandatory fees will not be reduced or refunded if the University changes the delivery method for any or all of an academic session. 

Room and Board

Part-time students cannot purchase a housing contract without prior approval of the Office of Residence Life. Students residing in university housing are required to have a Meal Plan with their housing contract. 

Commuter students may purchase one of several meal plans through Card Services in the Student Success Center and can have the charge posted to their student account. Commuter contracts purchased after the first week of classes are due immediately. A commuter contract must be purchased each semester. 

If a student arrives late by 10 or fewer days, the boarding fee will not decrease. The only exception, however, is lateness because of hospital confinement. If a student is late by seven days or longer due to hospital confinement, the university will review adjusting the board fee. Contact Card Services in the Student Success Center on the second floor at (540) 568-6446 for additional information. 


Any overpayment of a student account can be either refunded or posted to a future semester as a payment. An overpayment created by a credit card payment must be refunded back to the credit card. All overpayments are refunded to the student except for Parent PLUS loans, which are refunded as specified by the parent in the PLUS application. All student refunds are processed through the university's vendor, BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. Each student has the option of receiving his/her refund through direct deposit to a current bank account or using a BankMobile Vibe checking account. The selection is made when the student logs into the BankMobile Disbursements website through the link "My Refunds" in M3. Questions concerning refund procedures can be directed to the University Business Office at (540) 568-6505, by email at or by going to the UBO's office in the Student Success Center during regular business hours. 

Parents who are eligible to receive a refund on their federal Parent PLUS loan will receive a paper check at the home address of record. 

Students who officially withdraw from the university by the deadline for fall semester or by the deadline for spring semester will be refunded all tuition and fees except the tuition and room deposit. 

Withdrawing after the end of this period will not reduce tuition charges. Board fees will be prorated from the dining hall opening date. After the deadline dates, refunds will be for only a pro rata share of the board fee. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract. 

Students who withdraw from the university due to physical or mental health reasons certified by an appropriate health care provider or for unavoidable emergency or extenuating circumstances approved by the Dean of Students will be refunded a pro rata share of tuition, fees and board. Refunds for withdrawal from the university are calculated from last date of attendance as approved by the Dean of Students. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract. 

For further information on withdrawal from the university, see the section Withdrawal from the University. 

Room and Tuition Deposits

New Students 

For new students, a deposit of $400 is required to confirm their acceptance of the offer of admission. When a student pays the deposit, the money is applied to the student's account. The deadline for this deposit is May 1. Refunds after the stated deadlines will be made only for personal illness certified by a physician or other extenuating circumstances approved by the Dean of Admissions. 

Returning Students 

For returning students who want to live in university residential facilities, a signed room and board contract must be submitted online to the Office of Residence Life at A contract fee will be assessed when the contract is submitted. 

Back to Top