If this is an emergency or you wish to report a crime in progress, please call 911 or JMU Public Safety at 540-568-6911.

Below is the step-by-step reporting process for faculty and staff who believe they have experienced discrimination or harassment. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) if you would like to further discuss options.

OEO has created the Faculty and Staff Resource Guide for additional support.

A report is filed

The OEO will determine if Interim Measures are appropriate.

The OEO completes the initial evaluation determination report

Dismisses report/complaint - does not meet threshold determination of policy violation


Initial meeting with the complainant to confirm factual allegations and discuss options regarding procedure selection

  1. Informal Procedures (could include facilitation assistance, interventions or remedies)
  2. Formal Procedures (The OEO begins investigative process)
Formal Procedure: Proceeds to investigation

The OEO conducts investigation (The OEO Investigative Report)

  1. A notification of the complaint is sent to the respondent and the respondent’s supervisor that a complaint has been filed and that Policy 1324 applies (notice of investigation)
  2. A notification is sent to the respondent and the respondent’s supervisor
  3. Back and forth with both complainant and respondent for verification of information pertaining to the case
  4. The OEO finalizes the investigation and completes and Investigative Report.
  5. The report is shared with the Panel. The panel reviews the report
  6. A hearing is conducted (3 panelists are selected to serve)
  7. The panel makes a determination if the policy has been violated.
  8. Sanctions: If an employee is found in violation of the policy, sanctions are determined by their supervisor.
  9. Appeal process for sanction only
    1. Appeal to the employee’s VP
    2. Final decision by VP
  10. Appeals: For complete details explaining the appeal process, see Policy 1324 – page 15 section f and page 16 sections 1 and 2
Need to file a complaint?

File a complaint

Follow this link to access the Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Complaint Form

Need to request a consultation?

Request Consultation

Follow this link to access the Consultation Request Form

Back to Top