My First Year Advisor

How am I assigned a First Year Advisor?

When you make your Orientation Reservation and Declare your Major in the One Book, you are assigned a First Year Advisor.

When can I get in touch with my First Year Advisor?

Your First Year Advisor will contact you via your JMU email on June 10th (NOTE: Make sure you have selected a major in the One Book).  However, if you have questions before then, you can contact us at

Fall 2024 Enrollment

When will I find out my enrollment time?

On June 10th, you may log into MyMadison and click on "Student Center" to see when on June 17th your enrollment appointment begins.  Your "Enrollment Appointment" is when you are able to begin enrolling in classes.  Once it "begins" you will have access to enroll in and/or change your classes until 11:59pm on July 18th and then again on August 1st.

Should I wait to enroll in classes until I meet with my advisor in person?

No. Please enroll in a full schedule of courses based on the tools provided in the First Semester Enrollment Modules in CANVAS.  Your advisor will be a resource to suggest changes based on your interests and class availability.  How to Find your Acadmic Advisor in MyMadison.

I do not have an enrollment time.

Have you completed your One Book steps (including ALEKS Math Assessment and Orientation Reservation & Declaring a Major steps)?   If you have questions, you can contact the Orientation & Transition Office, 540-568-1787, for assistance.

How many classes/credit hours should I be enrolling in?

Most students will enroll in 5 classes, which typically equals 15 credit hours (each class is usually 3 credits).  Some students may have slightly more credits hours (16-18) based on their specific major requirements.

What if I cannot log into MyMadison?

Contact the HelpDesk at 540-568-3555.

Transfer Credit

  • Dual Enrollment: Send your official transcript from the college/university through which you completed the dual enrollment courses to JMU Admissions

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Send your test scores from College Board to JMU

  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Send your IB transcript to JMU

  • Cambridge International Examination (CIE) credit: Send your scores through the Cambridge International Examination system

Where should I send my transcripts?

First Year students should send their transcripts to Admissions until the first day of class.

James Madison University
Office of Admissions – MSC 0101
Madison Hall
100 E Grace Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

After the first day of classes, please reference the Office of the Registrar's Transfer Policies.

Can I just send my high School transcript if I am expecting transfer credit?

No. Any transfer credit transcripts or test credit reports (AP/IB/CIE) must come directly from that college/university or testing organization. 

How can I find out if/how my credit will transfer to JMU?

How can I see if my transfer credit has posted?

Log into MyMadison and enter your Student Center, under the Academics heading to the right you will see a list of drop down menu options, starting with "Search".  Go the the bottom of that list and select "other academic", then select "Transfer Credit Report".  This will show you if you have any transfer credit "In Progress", "Posted" or "No Rule".  Additionally, you can also view your "Unofficial Transcript" using the drop down option "Transcript: View Unofficial" listed above "other academic"


Placement Tests

My ALEKS math assessment score places me in a lower level course than I feel like I should be pursuing.  Can I retake my ALEKS math assessment test?

Students are allowed to retake the ALEKS exam twice, for a total three attempts from March 18,2024-March 18,2025.  The highest score of those three attempts will be used for your math placement.  Your score will be posted to your MyMadison account within 24 hours. Please read through all the instructions prior to taking the math assessment, this is an important step to ensure your readiness for JMU mathematics courses.


Do I need to take the foreign language placement exam? 

It depends.  Make sure to review the foreign language placement exams website for foreign language requirements.


General Education Courses

Do I have to take one class from each area for the first semester?

No, you do not.  Please review the 1st semester enrollment worksheet for your major and enroll in the specific courses outlined for this coming fall semster in "Prepare for Class Enrollment" Modules in CANVAS.


How do I know which classes I should be enrolling in for the first semester?

Please review the 1st semester enrollment worksheets which are located in "Prepare fo Class Enrollment" Modules in CANVAS.


How do I search for General Education classes by area?

View the MyMadison tutorial provided by the office of the Registrar.

Back to Top